AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-Young Dominicans denounce corruption and ask for "a new political culture"
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - The young Dominicans call the attention of the authorities and leaders on the need to promote the political, cultural, economic and social development of the nation. The occasion was given by the second National Youth Congress on the theme "For a new political culture", held on 30 and 31 January in the Dominican Republic, sponsored by the Red Nacional de Acción Juvenil, which brought together young Dominicans from across the country. In the final document, according to information from Adital, young people denounce "the silence, impunity and complicity" of the rulers and the judiciary authority with regards to corruption in the country, in public and private sectors. This situation affects the social and economic development of the population.
Similarly young people reject "opportunistic and utilitarian practices" as well as actions conducted without public participation. During the event the necessary respect for the rights of women was remembered, affirming the rejection of all forms of violence and oppression against them. Similarly police crimes, insecurity, environmental pollution and the plundering of public assets were condemned. The Ministry of Youth, on the occasion of National Youth Day, celebrated on Tuesday, January 31, awarded the National Prize for Youth XVI to 16 young people, particularly worthy of mention for their contribution in various fields, including culture of peace, environmental conservation, health care, human rights (childhood and youth), social welfare, cultural development, rural leadership, religious leadership, political leadership, social services to community service. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 02/02/2012)
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The amount of drug that passes throughout our Country is alarming," denounces Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez
- 2013-03-26 AMERICA/REP. SANTO DOMINGO - Hope for the inhabitants of bateye living in extreme poverty
- 2013-01-18 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - In the Year of Faith "We urge people to appreciate, and respect our women": Bishops' Pastoral Letter for the Feast of Our Lady of Altagracia
- 2013-01-14 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Campaign against illiteracy: The Church supports the initiative in favor of 850 thousand people
- 2013-01-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Crisis at the border with Haiti: Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez calls for government intervention
- 2013-01-08 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Literacy plan to eradicate poverty
- 2012-11-27 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A " Ministry of the Family ": the Church’s request to the government
- 2012-10-30 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "Stop violence against women" asks Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez at the end of the Mariana March
- 2012-10-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - There is always a high number of children who lose their basic right because not registered
- 2012-09-24 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The celebration of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the Episcopal Conference