AFRICA/SUDAN - Between kidnappings and massacres tension between Sudan and Southern Sudan increases
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - There is a growing tension in the border areas between Sudan and South Sudan, while the governments in Khartoum and Juba are throwing accusations of supporting the rebels operating in their territories. "Militants from the State of Unity have penetrated to Warrap and attacked people who were grazing, killing more than 40" reported the Minister of the Interior of Southern Sudan, Alison Manani Magaya. "These militias have been armed by the Khartoum government," said the Minister.
According to reports from the Sudan Catholic Radio site, Bol Makueng, Secretary for Information of the Movement for the Liberation of the People of Sudan (SPLM), the ruling party in South Sudan, has accused the authorities in Khartoum to allow south- Sudanese militias to recruit people in its territory from the South to attack civilians in southern Sudan, Darfur and South Kordofan. The last two areas mentioned are states belonging to Sudan in which independence movements act contrary to the power in Khartoum. In order for the Sudanese government to suppress these movements, as well as resorting to the regular armed forces, has a series of armed pro-government militias.
According to the leader of the SPLM, also, some of the recruits are trained as suicide bombers to carry out attacks against government officials in southern Sudan.
Khartoum, accuses in turn Juba saying it helps the guerrillas operating in Darfur, Blue Nile and Southern Kordofan. In the latter State about 30 Chinese workers of the Popular Movement for the Liberation of Sudan/North (SPLM-N) have been kidnapped.
In the background the question of the division of oil revenues, extracted from southern Sudan and exported through the infrastructure of Sudan remains. Khartoum has called for more rights concerning the passage of its crude oil along the pipeline, which Juba rejects. Beijing, which is the largest purchaser of local oil, is trying to mediate between the parties. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/01/2012)
- 2015-04-22 - Outbreak of measles in Darfur: cases continue to multiply
- 2015-04-15 - 70 thousand bags of Carcinogenic Sugar distributed in South Darfur
- 2015-04-13 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Elections contested by the opposition begin, while tension increases with South Sudan
- 2015-02-25 - The number of homeless children, 700 000 live on the streets of the capital
- 2015-02-12 - Hunger and diseases for the displaced persons in Darfur: food, medicines and basic necessities are needed
- 2015-01-30 - Humanitarian aid denied in conflict areas: MSF forced to close activities
- 2015-01-14 - Hunger and cold temperatures continue to cause deaths in North Darfur
- 2014-12-17 - Twenty new radio stations in Darfur and South Kordofan
- 2014-12-04 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Police raid Evangelical church in Khartoum
- 2014-11-12 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Alarm: haemorrhagic fever in Southern Kordofan