AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN-Challenges and threats that the women in the South of Sudan face every day
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - According to the "Small Arms Survey," an annual study that provides information on the spread and use of weapons in the world, the main threats for women in the South of Sudan derives from multiple factors, including serious deficiencies in the health sector, poor economic opportunities and access to food and gender equality, rather than by armed conflict they live in the country. At home, where in theory the situation should be more secure, women are facing many challenges. A married woman in childbearing age is likely to get pregnant at least once every three years until menopause, and one in seven dies during pregnancy or during delivery. In addition, because of polygamy, the risk of diseases increases. They suffer domestic violence and widows are particularly vulnerable, because of lack of public safety networks that protect them. Another serious problem is caused by hunger, high food prices increase the pressure within families already in distress. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/01/2012)
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda
- 2014-09-19 - South Sudan's Bakhita Radio can resume broadcasts, but without political issues