AMERICA/EL SALVADOR-The week dedicated to Peace ends today
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - "The Assembly for Peace," the week dedicated to the "World Day of Peace" of the Archdiocese of San Salvador, (14-21 January) ends today. The purpose is to spread the Message for World Day of Peace and to commemorate the twentieth anniversary of the Peace Accords in the country.
"Educating young people to justice and peace" is the title that His Holiness Benedict XVI gave for his Message for World Day of Peace 2012. Many activities for the youth were proposed by the Assembly for Peace.
These included a panel discussion (held on January 17, entitled: "Dialogue on Nature and Youth Culture") which was attended by students of the ANSP (National Academy of Public Security) and agents of the PNC (National Civil Police); a workshop on Family Pastoral (Wednesday 18, entitled: How to transmit the values of Peace through the family).
The Message for World Day of Peace was presented at a press conference on January 20.
The initiative will end today, on January 21, with a meeting on the theme: "Why do so many young people end up in gangs?".
This year the Country celebrates the 20th anniversary of the historic "peace accords" signed on January 16, 1992 in Chapultepec, Mexico, which put an end to 12 years of civil war. But before the brutal criminal attack that the Country is undergoing, the Church proposes a new national social pact (see Fides 12/12/2011) to eliminate violence and poverty in society. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/01/2012)
- 2013-05-15 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Truce or peace process, but the population still suffers violence, denounce the Bishops
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - OAS and government together in the peace process, the truce between the gangs is a first step
- 2013-03-25 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Mgr. Romero was not a politician but a true pastor
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Monsignor Romero, 33 years after his death the cause of beatification advances
- 2013-03-08 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - The truce between the gangs is a positive iniative, but more needs to be done
- 2013-02-25 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Appeal for electoral campaign without violence and with transparency
- 2013-01-22 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - The Vatican - observer of the Central American Integration System (SICA)
- 2012-11-16 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "United for life and for peace," the Catholic initiative to support the truce among the gangs
- 2012-10-15 AMERICA/ EL SALVADOR - "Politics is discredited, it has to be retrieved" urges Mgr. Rosa Chavez
- 2012-08-03 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Regain our dignity", the Church welcomes dialogue but without external pressures