ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Week of prayer for the unity of the Church: "We have to proclaim with one voice the Gospel of Christ and his final victory"
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - "We should proclaim in one voice the Gospel of Christ and His definitive victory," said His Exc. Mgr.Hyginus Kim Hee-joong, Archbishop of Gwangju and President of the Commission for the Promotion of Christian Unity and Interreligious Dialogue, of the Korean Bishops' Conference, in his message published for the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity 2012. According to information sent to Fides from the Bishops' Conference of Korea, commenting on this year's theme of the Week - "We will all be changed by the victory of our Lord Jesus Christ " (1 Cor 15, 51-58) – the Archbishop emphasizes the mission of the Christian in this world and the unity among them. "The Christians, who are to proclaim the true peace and salvation achieved by the sacrifice of Christ, should be the light of the world and the salt of the earth, witnessing Christ as the Light into this dark world. Although all Christians confess the same faith, the wall of misunderstanding and prejudice among them is still high. However, when all the Christians serve together Jesus Christ, using each own gifts for the humankind, the way to true unity will open.
Archbishop Kim continued: "The way to recognize that we are united in one faith and Gospel will be open when we become assured that we are called by the same God beyond our prejudice and misunderstanding. [...] The Church is continually being called to renew and reform herself, to live in the world interpreting the signs of the world in the light of the Gospel."
In concluding his message, the Archbishop then stressed: "We should proclaim in one voice the Gospel of Christ and His definitive victory, who defeated the fears of death widespread on the earth. [...] The power to set us free from fear and to unite us in one is love. The victory of Christ is the victory of love overcoming the death and sin. Let us go forward to the faith that unites us with love, beyond the wall of fear and mistrust, through the joy of Christ's victory. This faith will make our heart open to the power of the Holy Spirit and lead us to share each other the friendship and cooperation by sharing the communion of Christ". (SL) (Agenzia Fides 20/01/2012)
- 2013-06-06 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The crisis is a disadvantage for everyone: the Church welcomes the new North-South negotiations
- 2013-06-05 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Priests on pilgrimage to the tombs of the martyrs pray for peace
- 2013-05-28 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Worldwide Eucharistic Adoration with the Pope: to pray for peace with North Korea
- 2013-05-24 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - North Korea proposes a summit with the South: "hope re-opens", say the Bishops
- 2013-05-14 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul to Buddhists: "Let us together become a sign of peace and sharing"
- 2013-04-29 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The industrial complex of Kaesong closes but the "North-South cooperation is not completely interrupted," notes the Church
- 2013-04-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The "new Korean martyrs": an example in the Year of Faith
- 2013-04-05 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Winds of War, the Bishops appeal to the Pope: "Ask the leaders to work for peace"
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul, "Graces and blessings on our brothers and sisters in North Korea"
- 2013-03-07 ASIA/NORTH KOREA - Prison camps spread out and encompass the villages