AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Confusing situation among politicians, but the defense of the family is always a priority
Piribebuy (Agenzia Fides) - With the presence of hundreds of faithful, the feast of the National Shrine Ñandejára guasu or Sweet Name of Jesus was celebrated. His Exc. Mgr. Claudio Gimenez, Bishop of the Diocese of Caacupé, presided at the Eucharist attended by various authorities and politicians in the area and by the central government, including the Vice-president of the Republic, Federico Franco.
In his homily Mgr. Claudio Gimenez talked about the confusing situation of the country: "This year of preparation for elections (general elections will be held on April 21, 2013, ed) begins with great confusion, because not even the politicians themselves know what they want. So it is better to pray for our country, so that things will improve". The Bishop said that there are several cities in the area which, with work and sacrifice of their people, are putting all the effort they can, and mentioned in particular the communities of Juan de Mena (Department of Cordillera) and Cleto Romero (Department of Caaguazú), who are still waiting for paved roads in order to join each other.
The note seny to Fides says that Mgr.Gimenez also reported the common theme chosen by the Episcopal Conference of Paraguay (CEP) for all the religious holidays of the year: "Permanent Mission in Paraguay: Evangelizing the family". In this regard, he stressed that all issues on which the Church is reflecting from the novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, are very important, "because they help to strengthen this important institution called family". "To speak and defend the family as an institution is needed more than ever, especially since the institution was accused and attacked, even in its foundations and bases", said the Bishop. The Conclusions of the 192th Assembly of the Episcopal Conference of Paraguay (November 2011) have placed great emphasis on the defense of the family and the Church's position against abortion and same-sex unions (see Fides 10/11/2011). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/01/2012)
- 2014-07-28 - Thousands of children displaced due to the floods
- 2014-06-04 - Tension among the population of Ñacunday and Saint Lucia
- 2014-05-27 - Isolated due to the rain and without the aid of the authorities, "but we are also Paraguayans", cries the Vicar Apostolic of Chaco Paraguayo
- 2014-04-10 - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
- 2014-03-27 - General strike in the country; the Church supports those demanding justice and social solidarity
- 2014-03-07 - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
- 2014-03-06 - The Church calls for "fair justice"
- 2014-02-24 - Campaign to vaccinate children against measles and rubella
- 2014-02-21 - Half a million child laborers, exploited in activities which are dangerous to health and safety
- 2014-01-08 - A group of religious women involved in the protection of young orphans