AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Confusing situation among politicians, but the defense of the family is always a priority
Piribebuy (Agenzia Fides) - With the presence of hundreds of faithful, the feast of the National Shrine Ñandejára guasu or Sweet Name of Jesus was celebrated. His Exc. Mgr. Claudio Gimenez, Bishop of the Diocese of Caacupé, presided at the Eucharist attended by various authorities and politicians in the area and by the central government, including the Vice-president of the Republic, Federico Franco.
In his homily Mgr. Claudio Gimenez talked about the confusing situation of the country: "This year of preparation for elections (general elections will be held on April 21, 2013, ed) begins with great confusion, because not even the politicians themselves know what they want. So it is better to pray for our country, so that things will improve". The Bishop said that there are several cities in the area which, with work and sacrifice of their people, are putting all the effort they can, and mentioned in particular the communities of Juan de Mena (Department of Cordillera) and Cleto Romero (Department of Caaguazú), who are still waiting for paved roads in order to join each other.
The note seny to Fides says that Mgr.Gimenez also reported the common theme chosen by the Episcopal Conference of Paraguay (CEP) for all the religious holidays of the year: "Permanent Mission in Paraguay: Evangelizing the family". In this regard, he stressed that all issues on which the Church is reflecting from the novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, are very important, "because they help to strengthen this important institution called family". "To speak and defend the family as an institution is needed more than ever, especially since the institution was accused and attacked, even in its foundations and bases", said the Bishop. The Conclusions of the 192th Assembly of the Episcopal Conference of Paraguay (November 2011) have placed great emphasis on the defense of the family and the Church's position against abortion and same-sex unions (see Fides 10/11/2011). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/01/2012)
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' Conference asks to "put a stop to corruption"
- 2014-11-07 - The Bishops in defense of indigenous people appeal to the InterAmerican Commission on Human Rights
- 2014-10-06 - Thousands of children abused and forced to live on the street
- 2014-09-29 - The natives are victims of poverty and racism
- 2014-09-15 - “Terrorism can never be combatted with terrorism”; local Catholic church denounces military violence