AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Sexual abuse and child abuse on behalf of intolerant parents and out of control
Barranquilla (Agenzia Fides) - In Colombia, in the city of Barranquilla, Caribbean Region, in the months between January and November 2011, 611 sexual abuse on minors were registered, 503 on girls and 108 on boys. According to statistics from the National local Forensic Medicine, the majority of victims are girls between 10 and 14 years of age. The most affected age group is 10 to 14, with 239 cases, 214 of these relate to girls and 25 to boys. Followed by 5 to 9 year olds, with 187 victims: 135 are girls and 52 are boys. In addition to the abuse, the figures on child abuse are alarming. Last year 351 children suffered physical aggression, 179 were girls and 172 were boys, mostly on behalf of fathers (128) and mothers (92). The data from the Colombian Family Welfare Institute, ICBF, reported an increase in complaints of physical abuse, neglect or carelessness. Underlying causes of these phenomena are the lack of tolerance and control by parents. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2012)
- 2015-11-24 - Peace process: no need to hasten the signing without verifying the international law
- 2015-11-21 - The Church: need to clarify the referendum to have lasting peace
- 2015-11-19 - "There are connections between the conflicts in the Middle East and environmental issues" says a Jesuit
- 2015-11-16 - Poverty on the rise in Santa Fe and Chapinero: daily wage and lack of retirement among the causes
- 2015-11-12 - Meeting of the Pan-Amazonian Network: necessity to listen to indigenous peoples to protect creation
- 2015-10-20 - Mgr. Castro Quiroga: "The opening of dialogue with ELN is positive news"
- 2015-10-19 - "Pope Francis" food bank for needy families in Villavicencio
- 2015-10-09 - Cardinal Pimiento: "Vote-buying is a crime"
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation