AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Sexual abuse and child abuse on behalf of intolerant parents and out of control
Barranquilla (Agenzia Fides) - In Colombia, in the city of Barranquilla, Caribbean Region, in the months between January and November 2011, 611 sexual abuse on minors were registered, 503 on girls and 108 on boys. According to statistics from the National local Forensic Medicine, the majority of victims are girls between 10 and 14 years of age. The most affected age group is 10 to 14, with 239 cases, 214 of these relate to girls and 25 to boys. Followed by 5 to 9 year olds, with 187 victims: 135 are girls and 52 are boys. In addition to the abuse, the figures on child abuse are alarming. Last year 351 children suffered physical aggression, 179 were girls and 172 were boys, mostly on behalf of fathers (128) and mothers (92). The data from the Colombian Family Welfare Institute, ICBF, reported an increase in complaints of physical abuse, neglect or carelessness. Underlying causes of these phenomena are the lack of tolerance and control by parents. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2012)
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors