AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Sexual abuse and child abuse on behalf of intolerant parents and out of control
Barranquilla (Agenzia Fides) - In Colombia, in the city of Barranquilla, Caribbean Region, in the months between January and November 2011, 611 sexual abuse on minors were registered, 503 on girls and 108 on boys. According to statistics from the National local Forensic Medicine, the majority of victims are girls between 10 and 14 years of age. The most affected age group is 10 to 14, with 239 cases, 214 of these relate to girls and 25 to boys. Followed by 5 to 9 year olds, with 187 victims: 135 are girls and 52 are boys. In addition to the abuse, the figures on child abuse are alarming. Last year 351 children suffered physical aggression, 179 were girls and 172 were boys, mostly on behalf of fathers (128) and mothers (92). The data from the Colombian Family Welfare Institute, ICBF, reported an increase in complaints of physical abuse, neglect or carelessness. Underlying causes of these phenomena are the lack of tolerance and control by parents. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2012)
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace
- 2014-12-01 - Children are half of the victims of landmines and prohibited explosive devices
- 2014-11-29 - Observatory for Reconciliation and Peace is created
- 2014-11-27 - Hunger and chronic malnutrition cause the death of a child every 33 hours
- 2014-11-26 - Sexual violence on women: a forgotten medical emergency
- 2014-11-26 - Peace talks in Cuba must continue
- 2014-11-21 - The request to continue peace talks: "Do not destroy the hope of Colombians"