ASIA/SRI LANKA - The heavy rains put 38 000 people at risk, there are fears regarding the flooding of dams
Colombo (Agenzia Fides) - More than 38 thousand people of the north of Sri Lanka have been evacuated because of heavy rains and floods that these days have been hitting on the island. More than 10 thousand families have been displaced in four districts of the northern province, the area most severely affected is the administrative which concerns Kilinochchi, once controlled by the Tamil Tigers. Only in Kilinochchi 14,456 people have been displaced, among them more than 5 000 have been sent to 31 refugee camps. Other districts severly hit are those of Mannar, Jaffna and Mullaitive, which were slowly recovering after 30 years of civil war. To cope with this emergency 41 service centers have been set up, working 24 hours a day in distributing aid. The 33 largest dams in the country risk flooding, and the Irrigation Department has alerted the population living in low areas to control the rising water levels. The National Meteorological Department expects further heavy rain and strong winds in the north and east of the country, due to the intensification of the Northwest monsoon. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/12/2011)
- 2014-04-11 - The government also puts a priest in the list of "terrorist" because he defends the Tamil
- 2014-04-04 - Drought and monsoons: the dramatic situation especially for the poorest people
- 2014-03-20 - The Oblate missionaries: importance to guarantee the respect of human rights in Sri Lanka
- 2014-03-15 - The Tamil clergy to the UN: "human rights abuses, international intervention is urgent"
- 2014-03-11 - Christian Pastor attacked by Buddhist extremists
- 2014-01-29 - Christians took to the streets for religious freedom: 18 Buddhists on trial for attacks against churches
- 2014-01-07 - The Bishop of Mannar calls for an international investigation into war crimes in Sri Lanka
- 2013-12-06 - Indifference on behalf of the government with regards to the increasing number of attacks against Christians
- 2013-10-25 - A Tamil priest: The government has failed in reconciliation, a prophetic role of religious leaders is needed
- 2013-10-23 - The Commission "Justice and Peace" in Jaffna denounces "the genocide of Tamils"