ASIA/SRI LANKA - The heavy rains put 38 000 people at risk, there are fears regarding the flooding of dams
Colombo (Agenzia Fides) - More than 38 thousand people of the north of Sri Lanka have been evacuated because of heavy rains and floods that these days have been hitting on the island. More than 10 thousand families have been displaced in four districts of the northern province, the area most severely affected is the administrative which concerns Kilinochchi, once controlled by the Tamil Tigers. Only in Kilinochchi 14,456 people have been displaced, among them more than 5 000 have been sent to 31 refugee camps. Other districts severly hit are those of Mannar, Jaffna and Mullaitive, which were slowly recovering after 30 years of civil war. To cope with this emergency 41 service centers have been set up, working 24 hours a day in distributing aid. The 33 largest dams in the country risk flooding, and the Irrigation Department has alerted the population living in low areas to control the rising water levels. The National Meteorological Department expects further heavy rain and strong winds in the north and east of the country, due to the intensification of the Northwest monsoon. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/12/2011)
- 2015-06-23 - The Bishops: "The representation of minorities in Parliament has to be ensured"
- 2015-02-13 - Civil society: "Confidence in the hundred days of the new government's reforms"
- 2015-01-28 - Cardinal Ranjith: for peace and religious harmony, the government "is on the right path"
- 2015-01-14 - The local Church: "From Madhu hope to revive peace"
- 2015-01-13 - "The presence of the Pope, a sign of peace and unity, a wake up call for the nation"
- 2015-01-12 - Cardinal Ranjith: "The Pope's visit will be an impetus to reconciliation"
- 2015-01-09 - The Bishops: "a new era of peace and reconciliation with newly-elected president Sirisena"
- 2014-12-29 - Presidential election campaign, while the Catholic Church is preparing itself for the Pope's visit
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops, between the Pope's visit and elections: "The visit will take place without any problems"
- 2014-10-29 - Pope's visit confirmed