AFRICA/CONGO DR-Immunization campaign against measles for 1.7 million children
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The increase of measles and polio cases triggered a vaccination health campaign aimed at tens of thousands of children infected in the regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). In 2011, in the country, there have been at least 128,965 cases of measles, 1,573 deaths due to the disease, 89 cases of polio type 1. The current measles campaign, launched in Kinshasa, is addressed to at least 1.7 million children between 6 and 59 months. The initiative for door to door vaccinations, using mobile medical teams, was carried out from December 19 to 21 in the provinces of Bandundu, Bas-Congo, Kasai Oriental, Katanga, Maniema and South Kivu, where approximately 1.1 million children under 5 years of age were monitored. The polio virus resurfaced in the DRC in 2006, with 13 cases, before reaching the peak in 2010 with 100 cases. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 22/12/2011)
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Congo Caritas in charge of distributing the funds of the national collection for the east
- 2013-04-09 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The South African troops have withdrawn from Bangui in the north of the Congo. Ready for revenge?
- 2013-04-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Jesuits’ initiative against weapons that fuel the crisis in the Great Lakes Region
- 2013-03-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO - A secessionist group sows terror in Lubumbashi
- 2013-03-20 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Hopes and interrogatives after the surrender of Bosco Ntaganda,
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting continues in North Kivu despite the agreements in Addis Ababa
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Addis Ababa Agreement greeted with suspicion by the Congolese but there is good news
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Bishops: "the respect for the constitutional order must be observed by all"
- 2013-03-01 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Violent clashes between factions of the M23
- 2013-02-25 AFRICA/ RD CONGO - “Integrate Framework Agreement for Congo” say NGOs