AFRICA/NIGERIA - New explosions in the north; for the Bishops, "either one learns to live in peace or one perishes in violence"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) – Still explosions in northern Nigeria attributed to the Boko Haram sect. On 18 December in Malikali, on the outskirts of Kaduna, capital of the State, at least one person died and several others were injured in the explosion of a clandestine explosive device belonging to the sect. In addition to the building where the illegal lab was hidden, several other surrounding buildings were destroyed. On the same day, police discovered another hidden structure for the production of bombs in the city of Kano, capital of the State, where, according to the Nigerian security services, the Boko Haram sect moved its headquarters, until now located in Maiduguri, capital of Borno State. Right here on December 17 three members of the sect died in the accidental explosion of the device they handled.
Faced with the continuing wave of attacks, the Nigerian Bishops have launched an appeal asking the population to live in peace and harmony because, otherwise, they risk "of dying because of violence and mutual destruction". The appeal is contained in the statement of the Administrative Council of the Episcopal Conference of Nigeria, which met on December 9 in the federal capital, Abuja. "We cannot but recognize the urgent need for reconciliation, justice and peace in the face of dramatic challenges to the security in our Country. As has been repeated often, Nigerians must learn to live together in peace, or they will die because of violence and mutual destruction". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/12/2011)
- 2013-06-17 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Four churches burned by Boko Haram; Mgr. Kaigama: "regional approach to defeat them"
- 2013-05-24 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "British-born Adebolajo is not a Nigerian": the Nigerian community in London react
- 2013-05-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops: "Nigeria now almost totters on the brink. Prayer is essential to restore peace"
- 2013-05-21 AFRICA/NIGERIA – Bishops say: "Yes to the State of emergency but it is politicians have to work for peace,"
- 2013-05-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Secretary of CAN in Borno killed, shortly after the declaration of a state of emergency
- 2013-05-15 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am skeptical about the imposition of a State of emergency," said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2013-05-11 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Nigerian Church is with you": solidarity visit to Maiduguri of the Bishops of Jos Ecclesiastical Province
- 2013-05-07 AFRICA/NIGERIA - After the clashes in Baga, displaced people are still homeless
- 2013-05-02 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The satellite images testify the heavy destruction in Baga
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Six Bishops of the Province of Jos on a solidarity visit to Maiduguri