AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The "unfair and unjust" law on immigration needs to be revised: letter from religious leaders to the governor of Alabama
Alabama (Agenzia Fides) - Some Christian community leaders in the state of Alabama (Roman Catholic Church, United Methodist Church and the Episcopal Church), wrote a letter to Governor Robert Bentley to pray so that they show political courage and will be able to support the repeal of the immigration law in the State of Alabama. Without speaking specifically of repeal, the leaders spoke of "an unjust and unfair law". The six leaders who wrote the letter, had already filed a complaint against the law to the Federal Court.
The letter of commitment to pray for the governor marked a different approach to object to the bill following the lawsuits, peaceful demonstrations, marches, including a demonstration held on Saturday, December 17, at the Capitol and in front of the governor’s residence in Montgomery, which was attended by hundreds of opponents to this law.
From the information Fides gathered it seems that the governor's office has publicly stated that the immigration law in the state needs to be changed, but has not said it is against it. The Catholic Church has stated its position several times, and the Bishops of America have supported the position of religious leaders (see Fides 20/09/2011), as the problem of migration is considered a national problem for many (see Fides 21/11/2011). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/12/2011)
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The suffering of immigrants has to stop!" says Cardinal Dolan
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigrants, Youth and reconstruction of Haiti, the aid priorities of the U.S. bishops
- 2013-04-03 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - 1.3 billion people worldwide live on less than $ 1.25 a day
- 2013-03-23 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigration reform, perhaps even the support of the Pope
- 2013-03-11 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of the African American community to the Caravan of Hope
- 2013-01-31 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - For the U.S. Bishops the parliamentary agreement on immigration reform is "an important first step"
- 2013-01-09 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - In California, one child out of 5 lives below the poverty line, the phenomenon is on the rise
- 2013-01-07 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - National Migration Week: to raise awareness on the 11 million undocumented persons
- 2012-12-10 AMERICA - About 300 000 children recruited for criminal activity in the world
- 2012-12-06 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The defense of immigrants is evangelization": the Bishop of Atlanta calls for an integral reform of immigration policy