AMERICA/CUBA - The Redemptorists celebrate 10 years of their return to Cuba
Havana (Agenzia Fides) - The Redemptorist Missionaries celebrated in 2011, the tenth anniversary of their return to Cuba from Spain, they had in fact already worked in Cuba from 1927 to 1976, and then had to leave the island. A new phase of the presence of the Redemptorists began in 2001, when two religious arrived in Paraguay on the island of Juventud (small island geographically separated from the island of Cuba, but has always belonged to Cuba), to deal with the mission of Nueva Gerona, in the city that bears the same name. A few years later, in 2005, the Redemptorists assumed the responsibility of the Parish of Christ the Redeemer in Havana. At the moment the mission is in a phase of transition. In fact, in early 2011, the Redemptorists of the northern Sub-Region of Latin America and the Caribbeans (URNALC) have assumed responsibility for the pastoral care of the Redemptorist community in Cuba.
The note sent to Agenzia Fides by the Redemptorist Missionaries reports that in Cuba there are many needs and pastoral needs. Father Jorge Gomez Rueda, from Bogota, and Father Alirio Suárez Velazco, of the Vice Province of Caracas, as representatives of URNALC, visited the Cuban mission during the significant date of the return to Cuba. They had, therefore, the opportunity to join the 5 Redemptorist missionaries who are currently living in Cuba, to reflect with them on the needs of the mission and to celebrate 10 years of the "new" presence on the island of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer, founded by St. Alphonsus Maria Liguori. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/12/2011)
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/CUBA - Good Friday: granted non-working day
- 2013-02-13 AMERICA/CUBA - Pioneers of the economy in the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba
- 2013-01-26 AMERICA/CUBA - In Granma the government returns two schools and land to the Catholic Church
- 2012-12-13 AMERICA/CUBA - 50 days after the hurricane, thousands of people are still homeless and without services
- 2012-11-21 AMERICA/CUBA - Cardinal Ortega’s Letter for the Year of Faith, "a meditation on this historic moment to promote the encounter of the Cuban people with Jesus"
- 2012-11-14 AMERICA/CUBA - A "sheet" that managed to arrive where the Church did not arrive...for 50 years
- 2012-11-06 AMERICA/CUBA - "Hurricane Sandy hits Cuba: houses and churches destroyed, lack of food, electricity and telephone line, but nobody talks about it": dramatic testimony from Santiago de Cuba
- 2012-04-03 AMERICA/CUBA - Good Friday as a public holiday and a Cardinal Ortega’s message broadcast on national television
- 2012-03-26 AMERICA/CUBA - Cuban Catholics are ready to welcome Pope Benedict, "Pilgrim of Love"
- 2012-03-22 AMERICA/CUBA - "The expectation that I hear in all the Christian communities for the arrival of Benedict XVI is the same as 14 years ago, for John Paul II’s visit," says Fr. Raul Rodriguez