ASIA/LAOS - The diocesan Process for the beatification of 15 martyrs of Laos is valid
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - The Congregation for the Causes of Saints has judged the diocesan process for beatification of 15 martyrs valid, among religious and lay catechists, killed in Laos, "in hatred of the Christian faith" between 1954 and 1970. The Process therefore enters its second phase and its procedures in the Vatican Congregation officially begins.
The news, say Fides sources, was welcomed with great joy by the Bishops and the Catholic community in Laos, but also by the Congregation of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI) and by the Society for Foreign Missions of Paris (MEP), which have their religious missionaries in the list of the 15 martyrs, composed of 5 French religious OMI, 5 religious MEP and 5 secular Laotians.
The Bishops of Laos, promoters of the Cause, have entrusted the realization of the process to the diocese of Nantes, where one of the missionaries came from, Fr. Jean-Baptiste Malo, MEP. The diocesan process was officially closed in the spring of 2010 in the diocese of Nantes (see Fides 30/03/2010). The Postulator of the Cause, Fr. Roland Jacques OMI, will now have to write the "Positio", which will then be examined by the Relator of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints.
There is another cause of beatification already registered in the Congregation, which regards missionaries killed in Laos:Fr. Mario Borzaga OMI and the Laotian catechist Paul Thoj Xyooj. For this Process, the "Positio" has already been formulated for about a year and we are waiting for the Relator to examine it. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2011)
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/LAOS - Two Christian pastors released, arrested for "spreading the Christian faith"
- 2013-01-12 ASIA/LAOS - Christians disappeared: open letter to the President of the country
- 2012-10-22 ASIA/LAOS - "Year of Faith" amid the persecutions of Christians forced to become "animists"
- 2012-09-29 ASIA/LAOS - Repressive campaign against Christians in Savannakhet: three priests arrested
- 2012-08-28 ASIA/LAOS - Christian leader arrested because "he converted 300 people"
- 2012-07-06 ASIA/LAOS - Christians arrested because "they explained the Bible"
- 2012-06-22 ASIA/LAOS - Converted to Christianity? Two soldiers discharged
- 2012-06-09 ASIA/LAOS - "Too charismatic, too many conversions": A Christian Pastor arrested
- 2012-05-16 ASIA/ LAOS - Forbidden to pray at home and put crucifixes on the walls
- 2012-03-09 ASIA/LAOS - Local officials to Christians: "abjure your faith"