ASIA/IRAQ - Two Christians killed in Mosul. The Nuncio: "There is fear and hope"
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - "Two Christians were killed in Mosul yesterday. The causes are not known and the attackers have not been identified", confirms to Fides His Exc. Mgr. Amel Shamon Nona, Chaldean Archbishop of Mosul, who expressed his "closeness and prayer for the family". Fides asked him questions about the incident and the situation of the Christian community, in view of Christmas, Mgr. Giorgio Lingua, Apostolic Nuncio in Iraq, said: "I do not yet know the reasons of the crime. We must be careful not to link each episode of violence to religious hatred. Accidents happen for various reasons, in a general climate of violence: in Iraq today I would not say that there is a persecution of Christians as such. There are also signs of hope".
"Of course – explains the Nuncio - the faithful are afraid: fear is the result of years and sad moments of recent history, in which the community has been hit. And, moreover the presence of Islamic fundamentalist groups should be noted. But Christians are bearing all the dangers. "For example, says the Nuncio, "the incidents in recent weeks in Kurdistan that hit liquor stores, owned by Christians, wanted to hit that type of goods, apart from business owners, whoever they were".
This coming Christmas, concludes the Nuncio, "will be celebrated with the same precautions as in past years: the celebrations will be held during the day, the churches will be protected, and without great outward expressions. I live with concern but with confidence and tranquillity". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/12/2011)
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV
- 2015-03-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to the UN: the "Arab Spring" impacted negatively on Christians
- 2015-03-16 - Chaldean Patriarch: a law against preachers who incite violence is needed
- 2015-03-12 - The monastery of St. George in Mosul damaged, but not destroyed
- 2015-03-10 - Appeal of the Chaldean Patriarch: the offensive against the Caliphate causes new humanitarian emergencies
- 2015-02-24 - ASIA/IRAQ – Courses to start soon at Erbil Catholic University
- 2015-02-18 - Chaldean Patriarch urges Muslims: Join us in our Lenten fast to obtain the gift of peace
- 2015-02-16 - In Mosul jihadist “patrols” ban Saint Valentine
- 2015-02-12 - The Chaldean Archbishop of Kirkuk promotes a blood drive for the victims of terrorism