ASIA/IRAQ - Two Christians killed in Mosul. The Nuncio: "There is fear and hope"
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - "Two Christians were killed in Mosul yesterday. The causes are not known and the attackers have not been identified", confirms to Fides His Exc. Mgr. Amel Shamon Nona, Chaldean Archbishop of Mosul, who expressed his "closeness and prayer for the family". Fides asked him questions about the incident and the situation of the Christian community, in view of Christmas, Mgr. Giorgio Lingua, Apostolic Nuncio in Iraq, said: "I do not yet know the reasons of the crime. We must be careful not to link each episode of violence to religious hatred. Accidents happen for various reasons, in a general climate of violence: in Iraq today I would not say that there is a persecution of Christians as such. There are also signs of hope".
"Of course – explains the Nuncio - the faithful are afraid: fear is the result of years and sad moments of recent history, in which the community has been hit. And, moreover the presence of Islamic fundamentalist groups should be noted. But Christians are bearing all the dangers. "For example, says the Nuncio, "the incidents in recent weeks in Kurdistan that hit liquor stores, owned by Christians, wanted to hit that type of goods, apart from business owners, whoever they were".
This coming Christmas, concludes the Nuncio, "will be celebrated with the same precautions as in past years: the celebrations will be held during the day, the churches will be protected, and without great outward expressions. I live with concern but with confidence and tranquillity". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/12/2011)
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV