AFRICA/SENEGAL - "There have so far been no particular reactions to the massacre in Florence," say sources of the Archidiocese of Dakar

Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Dakar (Agenzia Fides) - "The Senegalese radio and other media have clearly highlighted the murder of Senegalese citizens in Florence, but so far there have been no unusual reactions by the local population", sources of the Archidiocese of Dakar told Fides.
Yesterday, in the historic center of Florence a 50 year-old man, Gianluca Casseri, killed two peddlers of Senegalese origin and wounded two others before committing suicide. With regard to the crime in Florence the Senegalese media is superimposed to the news on the resurgence of conflict in the region of Casamance (Senegal territory between Gambia and Guinea Bissau, where since 1982 there has been an active armed separatist movement). In particular, in an attack on a military position assumed by the men of the Mouvement des Forces Démocratiques de Casamance (MFDC) 4 soldiers were killed and others taken prisoner. The government in Dakar said it is "outraged" by the double murder and has requested to shed light on the crime. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/12/2011)

Share: Facebook Twitter Google Blogger Altri Social Network