AFRICA- A new food crisis for children in Sahel is expected in 2012
Timbuktu (Agenzia Fides) - Another negative outlook for a million children in the Sahel region of Africa is expected. According to UNICEF, by 2012 there will be a new food crisis and, therefore, the organization has launched its appeal to the international community to start working right away to cope with this emergency. According to data, the highest number of children under five years of age suffering from severe and acute malnutrition is recorded in Niger, with about 330,600 cases identified so far and half of the population at risk of hunger. Other countries and regions where it is expected that children need special attention are Chad, northern Nigeria, northern Cameroon, Burkina Faso, Mali, Mauritania and northern Senegal. According to an official of Unicef, the magnitude of the problem is not to be underestimated, the tragedy can be avoided only by seriously engaging in the region starting immediately. It is urgent to ensure that people have available professionals in the area with the proper medication to prevent the threat of disease. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2011)
- 2014-10-10 - The campaign "Let us turn over a new leaf, for democratic change in Africa" has been launched
- 2014-09-25 - Ebola and witchcraft: children accused of causing the spread of the virus
- 2014-06-25 - Ebola in West Africa: massive deployment of resources needed
- 2014-06-23 - "Immigrants are transforming our Church", say the Catholic Bishops of North Africa
- 2014-06-11 - Economics and Finance: Is Africa the continent of the future?
- 2014-04-25 - President of SECAM: "Africans have to rely greatly on their own human material resources"
- 2013-12-02 - No discrimination of AIDS patients; emphasis on "miraculous" solutions
- 2013-11-20 - Thirty years of the Church’s commitment in Africa against AIDS
- 2013-11-12 - Typhoon in the Philippines: solidarity in Africa springs into action
- 2013-10-15 - The wishes of the Catholic Church in Africa to the Muslim faithful for the feast of Aid El Adha