AMERICA/CANADA-The bishops of Canada to Haiti in solidarity 2 years after the earthquake
Ottawa (Agenzia Fides) -The president and vice president of the Canadian Episcopla Conference, respectively Mgr. Richard Smith and Mgr. Paul-André Durocher, will be present from 14 to 21 December next at a solidarity mission in Haiti sponsored by the Canadian Catholic Organization for development and peace (CCODP). The objective of this mission is to deepen the ties between the Church in Haiti and the Church in Canada, to strengthen the relationship between Canadian and Haitian bishops and to verify the progress of reconstruction after the earthquake on January 12, 2010 (especially urgent projects supported by the Canadian Catholics).
During the meetings, members of the Canadian Episcopal Conference and some leaders of the Catholic Organization cited will also be able to encourage and thank the many Canadian volunteers and religious communities from Canada and engaged in the support of the people in Haiti.
The visit is close to the date when two years ago the earthquake hit Haiti, which caused 220 000 victims and over 300 000 injuries, a catastrophe that devastated a community of over three million people, causing damage of enormous proportions in the capital Port-au-Prince, and other cities.
This initiative of solidarity includes a visit to Port-au-Prince and Jacmel for an assessment of the reconstruction projects supported by the Canadian Catholics, that offered more than $ 20 million for this purpose, along with the initiatives financed by Caritas from other Countries .
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2011)
- 2015-11-27 - Appointment of the Bishop of Whitehorse
- 2015-10-29 - The Cross of Evangelization opens the path to CAM 2018
- 2015-05-11 - First sanctuary in Canada for St. Gianna Beretta Molla: "She is like one of us"
- 2015-03-23 - The Canadian Bishops in solidarity with CELAM: Defense of creation and problems regarding mines
- 2014-05-12 - Cameroonian priest killed in a firefight in Canada
- 2014-03-03 - A goal of solidarity has been accomplished: a house for 400 families in Haiti, left homeless after the earthquake
- 2013-03-11 - "New evangelization in the mission Ad Gentes", final preparations for the CAM 4 COMLA 9
- 2012-12-03 - "Quality journalism is ethical journalism": contribution of the WACC
- 2012-07-03 - Missionary animation in the context of the new evangelization
- 2011-12-10 - The bishops of Canada to Haiti in solidarity 2 years after the earthquake