AMERICA/CUBA - "Cuba is experiencing a new springtime of faith," the Pope's visit to the island has been announced
Havana (Agenzia Fides) - At the conclusion of the National Pilgrimage of "Our Lady of Caridad del Cobre," the Bishops of Cuba issued a message for the Marian Jubilee Year which celebrates 400 years of the finding of the image of " Our Lady of Caridad del Cobre ", entitled "To Jesus through Mary, Charity unites us ", and have confirmed the upcoming visit of Pope Benedict XVI to the island, which is why it is called the visit of the " Pilgrim of Charity. "
The Bishops in their message urge all Cubans, "to live with joy the Marian Jubilee Year, from January 7, 2012 to January 5, 2013" and invite to take part in various celebrations programmed. The message recalls the experience of the Marian pilgrimage made and the faith of the Cuban people, which is expressed with clear manifestations of everyone’s religious sentiment, young and old. "Our Lady of Charity is an expression of Cuban soul," write the Bishops, "as demonstrated by the long history of 4 centuries written in the soul of the nation".
The text continues: "Today's passage of the Madonna of Mambisa' (as she was called by our fathers) is lived as a 'new springtime of faith,' since the beginning of the pilgrimage (August 8, 2010) throughout the national territory." "Our Lady talks to us," write the Bishops, and "Cuba needs the joy of faith and the Virgin of Charity came to meet her children so that those who have moved away return to God, those who have remained steadfast in the Christian faith , can increase their commitment, and we can all experience God's love for their children; so we strive to build unity in truth and love between us all, overcoming and integrating the differences and distances with respect".
In conclusion, the Bishops called on the Cuban people to "live with joy the Marian Jubilee Year," and announce the visit of Pope Benedict XVI, who wants to visit the country as a "Pilgrim of Charity", "to foster and strengthen the faith of the Cuban people, to commemorate 400 years of the presence of the Blessed Virgin's image among us. " (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/12/2011)
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/CUBA - Good Friday: granted non-working day
- 2013-02-13 AMERICA/CUBA - Pioneers of the economy in the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba
- 2013-01-26 AMERICA/CUBA - In Granma the government returns two schools and land to the Catholic Church
- 2012-12-13 AMERICA/CUBA - 50 days after the hurricane, thousands of people are still homeless and without services
- 2012-11-21 AMERICA/CUBA - Cardinal Ortega’s Letter for the Year of Faith, "a meditation on this historic moment to promote the encounter of the Cuban people with Jesus"
- 2012-11-14 AMERICA/CUBA - A "sheet" that managed to arrive where the Church did not arrive...for 50 years
- 2012-11-06 AMERICA/CUBA - "Hurricane Sandy hits Cuba: houses and churches destroyed, lack of food, electricity and telephone line, but nobody talks about it": dramatic testimony from Santiago de Cuba
- 2012-04-03 AMERICA/CUBA - Good Friday as a public holiday and a Cardinal Ortega’s message broadcast on national television
- 2012-03-26 AMERICA/CUBA - Cuban Catholics are ready to welcome Pope Benedict, "Pilgrim of Love"
- 2012-03-22 AMERICA/CUBA - "The expectation that I hear in all the Christian communities for the arrival of Benedict XVI is the same as 14 years ago, for John Paul II’s visit," says Fr. Raul Rodriguez