AFRICA/IVORY COAST - In the African country every 36 hours a child is abused
Abidjan (Agenzia Fides) - After one year of post-election crisis, there has been a total of 1,121 victims of violence suffered by women, boys and girls in Côte d'Ivoire. According to the report "Vulnerability, violence and serious violations of child rights. Report on the impact of post-election crisis on child protection in Côte d'Ivoire", published by Save the Children, UNICEF and local organizations working for the protection of minors, every 36 hours a child is abused in the African country. The report brings together all the cases of rights violations recorded between November 2010 and September 2011. They include mutilation, recruitment or use of children on behalf of armed groups, attacks on schools and hospitals, sexual violence, kidnapping or the blocking of humanitarian aid for children. Among the 1,121 cases reported, 643 were committed against boys and girls, including 182 cases of sexual violence. According to the data, two-thirds of the victims are girls, 60% of whom are under 15 years of age; 213 are cases of sexual violence; 45 young boys involved in armed groups, 79 children maimed or wounded; 41 infant deaths caused by firearms, bombs, etc., are 10 cases of kidnapping. Unfortunately, most cases are not recorded and, therefore, there is much more violence. The report highlights a significant increase in violence between the months of March and April of this year, the moment of maximum crisis in the regions most affected by the fighting. Most of the crimes have gone unpunished and, although they knew the identity of the perpetrators of the crimes, only 52 were trialed. Many are still afraid to denounce the perpetrators. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 07/12/2011)
- 2015-11-13 - Launch of "Ecclesia TV", Catholic television in the Ivory Coast
- 2015-10-23 - AFRICA/COTE D’IVOIRE – Presidential election: religious leaders call for calm
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops urge to "work for reconciliation in view of elections"
- 2015-01-28 - In view of the elections there is growing concern for children abducted for macabre rituals
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishops denounce: "Ivorian society is sick at a spiritual and moral level"
- 2014-10-14 - 30% of children between 10 and 14 years of age have been sexually abused
- 2014-09-22 - Refugees in Liberia blocked due to Ebola
- 2014-09-18 - "The Church has to monitor society so that it does not go adrift", says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2014-05-07 - Twelve thousand children work as slaves on cocoa farms
- 2014-03-28 - New program for social integration and peace education