AFRICA/KENYA - The Bishops call for an agreement to avoid the strike on behalf of doctors scheduled on December 5
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Kenya have urged the government to enter into fruitful dialogue with doctors who avert a pending strike on December 5 to demand a 300% pay hike. In a statement, issued on 1 December and signed by Archbishop Philip Sulumeti, Bishop of Kakamega and Chairman for the Catholic Health Commission, under the Kenya Episcopal Conference (KEC), states: "The KEC wishes to invite all parties to consider what is at stake, and emphasize that doctors offer essential services that should not be disrupted".
The Bishops point out that doctors have are committed to the preservation of life and have to do everything they can to preserve it through preventive and curative medicine. The Kenyan Episcopal Conference also calls " to abandon the culture of strikes in order to solve issues and embrace instead the culture of serious dialogue". Even the Association of Protestant Churches has called on the government and doctors to dialogue to resolve the dispute and avoid the threatened strike on behalf of doctors. Other health workers (nurses, laboratory technicians, radiologistists, pharmacists, etc. ..) have canceled their strike scheduled for December 7, after reaching an understanding with the authorities. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/12/2011)
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor