AFRICA/KENYA - The Bishops call for an agreement to avoid the strike on behalf of doctors scheduled on December 5
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Kenya have urged the government to enter into fruitful dialogue with doctors who avert a pending strike on December 5 to demand a 300% pay hike. In a statement, issued on 1 December and signed by Archbishop Philip Sulumeti, Bishop of Kakamega and Chairman for the Catholic Health Commission, under the Kenya Episcopal Conference (KEC), states: "The KEC wishes to invite all parties to consider what is at stake, and emphasize that doctors offer essential services that should not be disrupted".
The Bishops point out that doctors have are committed to the preservation of life and have to do everything they can to preserve it through preventive and curative medicine. The Kenyan Episcopal Conference also calls " to abandon the culture of strikes in order to solve issues and embrace instead the culture of serious dialogue". Even the Association of Protestant Churches has called on the government and doctors to dialogue to resolve the dispute and avoid the threatened strike on behalf of doctors. Other health workers (nurses, laboratory technicians, radiologistists, pharmacists, etc. ..) have canceled their strike scheduled for December 7, after reaching an understanding with the authorities. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/12/2011)
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed
- 2014-12-02 - Coadjutor Bishop of Garissa: "One is trying to destabilize the north of Kenya"
- 2014-12-01 - Justice and Peace Commission: The state of insecurity is to be declared "national disaster"
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana
- 2014-10-17 - The Bishops: "What does the tetanus campaign hide?"