AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE-Education and evangelization of children and young people
Lungi (Agenzia Fides) - The Salesian community has been present in Sierra Leone for 25 years, and has always been committed to education and evangelization of children and young people in the African country. According to a statement released by Ans, in the city of Lungi, since 1986, the religious have had a chain of Catholic schools, covering territories from Tintafor to Tagrin, with primary and secondary schools of St. Augustine and primary and secondary schools of Santa Maria. In 1994 they also opened a house in Freetown dedicated to the promotion and protection of street children. Currently a mobile animation program, "Don Bosco Mobil" is being held, a residential program and for the retrieval of families, a boarding school for girls and the emergency number "116", a youth center, the parish and the oratory. Children are provided an environment to protect them and at the same time to educate them to being responsible for their future, learning to take responsibility already in the present. "Much has been done so far, but the road ahead is steep. We must hear the cries of children and young people. Our mission is to provide shelter, food, clothing and education. Our mission is to work for the salvation of children and young people, to bring the little ones to Jesus, with the goodness of St. Francis de Sales", said Don Jorge Mario Crisafulli, Superior of the West Africa Anglophone Vice Province (AFW), on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the Salesian presence in the country. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 01/12/2011)
- 2015-09-25 - Thousands of displaced by floods which hit the Country
- 2015-07-22 - Ebola: people want to go back to normality, but we must not let our guard down
- 2015-07-08 - Archbishop of Freetown: "people are making efforts to protect themselves against Ebola"
- 2015-06-18 - Schools closed for ebola: child abuse, teenage pregnancy, prostitution are on the rise
- 2015-04-15 - The Bishops: "We must be steadfast in the efforts to eradicate the Ebola virus disease and defend our democracy"
- 2015-03-09 - Care centers for children who have been in contact with family members infected by Ebola
- 2015-03-03 - Investigation into the embezzlement of funds allocated in the fight against Ebola virus
- 2015-01-31 - Entire populations deprived of basic health services: commitment to the re-opening of the hospital in Lunsar
- 2015-01-19 - Emergency Ebola: light at the end of the tunnel
- 2014-12-30 - Stigma and discrimination, Ebola also jeopardizes religious practices