ASIA/VIETNAM - Homes razed, crops destroyed: the floods continue to do damage
Hanoi (Agenzia Fides) - Floods caused by torrential rains that have recently hit the south of Vietnam continue to flood the country, victims only a month ago of one of the worst floods in the last decade. When the situation appeared close to stability, new showers occurred in the region, particularly vulnerable because of its low lands and the labyrinthine delta Mekong River. According to local sources, this new plague has destroyed many houses and destroyed crops, especially in the provinces of Thua Thien Hue and Binh Dinh. In some areas up to 600 mm of rain have been recorded, as for example in Nam Dong, Tam Ky, Try My, Ba To and in the city of Da Nang, the third most important city in the country, after Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh. The flood of some rivers have reached an alarming level, and before the level decreased they flooded about 3,400 homes in Quang Ngai. In Ho Chi Minh the Saigon River registered its greater flood which reached 1.66 meters, causing enormous damage to the city. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/11/2011)
- 2013-04-24 ASIA/VIETNAM - New project for 2000 children at the National Hospital for Pediatrics in Hanoi
- 2013-04-11 ASIA/VIET NAM - Christian leader who died in prison: a victim of beatings, the faithful do not believe in suicide
- 2013-01-29 ASIA/VIETNAM - Prayer and medical assistance for pilgrims visiting the relic of St. Camillus
- 2012-11-22 ASIA/VIETNAM - In the Year of Faith, mission among the last: a new hospital for lepers
- 2012-10-26 ASIA/VIETNAM - Mission and dialogue in the Year of Faith
- 2012-10-05 ASIA/VIETNAM - Lack of funds increases fears of a further spread of malaria
- 2012-07-09 ASIA/VIETNAM - Appeal of the Catholic media: "Stop the violence of the Government on the Catholics of Vinh"
- 2012-05-28 ASIA/VIETNAM - Jesuit vocations flourish
- 2012-05-24 VIETNAM - 4 Catholic students in prison "subversives": they were promoting religious freedom and protection of life
- 2012-05-24 ASIA/VIETNAM-A Jesuit: "Education and the fight against corruption, priorities for the country"