AFRICA/KENYA- Kenya blocks the strategic port of Kismayu, the Shabab respond with attacks
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - At least three people have died and thirty injured: this is the toll of a series of terrorist attacks carried out yesterday, November 24, in Garissa, in the North Eastern Province in Kenya.
On November 6 in Garissa two other attacks were committed: one against a Pentecostal assembly, which had caused two deaths, one against a military camp, but failed due to the failure of the grenade.
These terrorist attacks are considered part of the Shebab somali’s strategy of retaliation, who intend to pay Kenya back for the military operation which has been launched in southern Somalia for weeks. Garissa is located one hundred kilometers from the border with Somalia and 70 km from Dadaab, where a complex of camps for Somali refugees fleeing famine and violence have been set up.
Kenyan troops officially entered into Somali territory to secure the border between the two Countries, after a series of kidnappings carried out by Somali bandits in Kenya. According to the authorities in Nairobi, the Kenyan air force and navy have imposed an air and sea blockade at the port of Kisimayo, the stronghold of the Shabab, who withdrew from the capital Mogadishu, where the government is situated, recognized by the international community, backed by an African military force. By blocking the port, the Kenyan military have taken away from the Shabab one of their most important sources of income: ship port taxes that berth and those on contraband goods destined to Kenya, in addition to charcoal, which is exported to the Middle East. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/11/2011)
- 2014-09-05 - “Enough violence in northern Kenya!” cry Catholic Bishops
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – New Rector for St. Matthias Mulumba Major seminary in the diocese of Eldoret
- 2014-09-05 - diocesan Major Seminary in the diocese of Nakuru, appointed.
- 2014-09-04 - AFRICA/KENYA – Rector for St. Thomas Aquinas major seminary in Nairobi appointed
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
- 2014-06-26 - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages