AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "We Bishops must be witnesses of the kingdom of justice": the work of SEDAC General Assembly
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The General Assembly of the Bishops' Secretariat of Central America (SEDAC) is being held, in the municipality of Valle de Angeles, in Honduras. This assembly is held every year to evaluate and analyze the reality of the Central American region and to project pastoral activities carried out jointly at a regional level.
The Bishops of Nicaragua were the first to reach the place where SEDAC General Assembly is held. The delegation of Nicaragua is formed by the Archbishop of Managua, Mgr. Leopoldo Brenes, President of SEDAC; by Mgr.Jorge Solorzano, Bishop of Granada and the Secretary General of SEDAC, by Mgr. Rolando Alvarez, Bishop of Matagalpa and Executive Secretary of SEDAC ; by Mgr. Silvio José Báez, Auxiliary Bishop of Managua, Bishop Rene Sandig, Bishop of Juigalpa, Bishop David Zywiec, Auxiliary Bishop of the Apostolic Vicariate of Bluefields; Mgr.Pablo Smith, Bishop of the Apostolic Vicariate of Bluefields and Mgr. Carlos Enrique Herrera, Bishop of Jinotega.
The General Assembly began with the celebration of the Holy Mass presided by Mgr. Leopoldo Brenes, who stressed the importance of the mission in the episcopal work that God has entrusted to each of the Bishops. In his homily he said that "the Bishops as Pastors, must be witnesses of the kingdom that offers peace, freedom and justice, in this part of Central America, despite the difficult circumstances of nature and society."
At the end of the Mass the opening ceremony took place welcomed by the Apostolic Nuncio in Honduras, Archbishop Luigi Bianco, and with the words of Cardinal Oscar Andres Rodriguez Maradiaga, Archbishop of Tegucigalpa (Honduras). At the end of the inaugural act Monsignor Leopoldo Brenes welcomed all the new Bishops appointed during this year. Then Mgr.Jorge Solórzano, Secretary General, gave a series of general guidelines for the meeting and concluded the first day of work for the Bishops of Central America. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/11/2011)
- 2013-03-08 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - No to the exploitation of gold in Matagalpa, the clergy’s statement
- 2013-02-28 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The new Nuncio: Holy See and Nicaragua together for the common good and for the family
- 2012-12-13 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - 300 000 Nicaraguan children work instead of going to school
- 2012-12-05 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Nicaragua celebrates 450 years of devotion to Mary
- 2012-11-22 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Challenges to the family in the national reality: a Bishops' letter is being prepared
- 2012-10-05 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Taxi strike blocks the capital, Archbishop appeals for calm and dialogue
- 2012-09-27 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops on the November 4 elections: "an opportunity to reflect on how power is exercised and politics practiced "
- 2012-09-26 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "To become active subjects in the transformation of the country": today the pastoral Letter of the Bishops
- 2012-08-28 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Alarm for the phenomenon of forced pregnancies of young girls and adolescents
- 2012-07-23 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - A course on the Social Doctrine of the Church has been inaugurated at the UCICAM