OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-The Bishops listen to an Aboriginal leader, "an agenda of hope"
Sydney (Agenzia Fides) – Present the Australian Bishops, gathered for the Plenary Meeting, an "agenda of hope" for the future of the Aboriginal people of Australia: with this spirit Mick Gooda, Aboriginal and Social Justice Commissioner leader spoke at the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference. As reported to Fides, Goode recognized the rich tradition of the Church in defending the rights of Aborigines.
Already since 1972 –he recalled - the Bishops said that Aboriginal people have land rights, ownership, employment, housing, education, and are all paramount rights. Commissioner Goode spoke about the apology expressed by the national Parliament, which acknowledged past mistakes and committed to make steps toward a reconciled Australian future.
"It is a journey that moves us along the road to freedom and human dignity which Australia owes her people. It is about looking forward and moving forward as a nation. It is a journey that can help build healthy relationships, necessary for an agenda of hope", said Goode.
The Commissioner also told the Bishops that "the most important thing they can do for Aboriginal people is to go into communities and listen to them", explaining that "relationships are built on understanding, dialogue, tolerance, acceptance, respect, trust and reciprocated affection ".
The presentation was warmly received by the Australian Bishops who initiated a discussion with the Commissioner. On behalf of the Assembly, Mgr. Christopher Prowse, President of the Episcopal Commission for relations with the aborigines, thanked Commissioner Goode, promising the closeness and support of the Christian community to Aboriginal peoples. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 24/11/2011)
- 2013-02-22 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Government tells Churches "homosexuals must not be discriminated against in social service"
- 2012-12-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New Catholic schools are born, enrollment increases
- 2012-11-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "We oppose the policy of prolonged detention of asylum seekers and we are particularly concerned about the children": Council’s appeal for social justice
- 2012-10-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Catholic Mission: To restore hope to the people of the Philippines devastated by the Typhoon Ondoy
- 2012-04-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-Campaign of the Pontifical Mission Societies of Australia for Ethiopia's population
- 2012-03-29 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The support of the Australian Catholic to 195 dioceses in 38 nations through Catholic Mission
- 2012-01-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The liturgy is enriched with aboriginal chants and prayers in a church on the outskirts of Sydney
- 2011-11-24 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-The Bishops listen to an Aboriginal leader, "an agenda of hope"
- 2011-10-17 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "Aborigines and immigrants are the heart of the mission", says the Archbishop of Canberra
- 2011-09-27 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - A hundred years ago the Australian Province of the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart was born