AFRICA/TANZANIA - Three Capuchin missionaries and a volunteer die in a car accident
Dar es Salaam (Agenzia Fides) - Three Capuchin missionaries and a lay volunteer, all Italian, from Tuscany, died in a car accident yesterday in Dar es Salaam, while they were visiting the Capuchin missions in the African country. Their names: fr. Luciano Baffigi, Provincial Minister of Tuscany; fr. Corrado Trivelli, head of the Missio ad Gentes, who, in particular dealt with missionary animation among the young; fr. Silverio Ghelli, who had been a missionary in Tanzania for a long time; Andrea Ferri, a young man in charge of documenting the missionary activities of the Capuchins in the African country. According to preliminary reports, the car they were traveling in swerved, perhaps to avoid killing a pedestrian. Fr. Ghelli who was driving was killed instantly, the other three travelers were transported to hospital where they died soon after due to the injuries. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 23/11/2011)
- 2015-11-10 - Start negotiations to overcome the crisis after the cancellation of the vote in Zanzibar
- 2015-10-29 - The elections in Zanzibar revoked due to "serious irregularities"
- 2015-10-06 - Appeal from Christian leaders: "No to ethnic or religious manipulations before the vote"
- 2015-06-19 - Bishop of Mpanda to the young: "Go and vote in the October elections"
- 2015-03-31 - Constitutional referendum at risk for the controversy over Islamic Courts
- 2015-02-18 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – Kidnapping of one year old albino toddler triggers indignation
- 2014-10-17 - Activities and programs for children and adolescents infected with HIV
- 2014-08-06 - Some Tanzanian citizens arrested in connection with the assaults in Lamu, causing 100 deaths
- 2014-07-12 - The Bishops to the constituents: "You have a moral duty to give the Country a new constitution"
- 2014-06-25 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – A Tanzanian religious woman killed during a street robbery