AFRICA - A very difficult year for children: need for greater protection for children and young people in vulnerable situations
Abidjan (Agenzia Fides) – The situation of children around the world is alarming. About 100 million children still lack access to education, 50 million are not even recordedat he the registry office and, therefore, it is as if they do not exist; 24 000 die every day due to lack of basic care, 1 million falls into the prostitution networks each year, over 150 million work or are exploited, millions more are subject to every kind of violence and 250 000 are involved in armed conflict. To all these tragedies the current global economic crisis must be added, the crisis in Côte d'Ivoire and the famine in the Horn of Africa. According to information from a Salesian missionary engaged in the mission in Duékoué, thousands of children live on the streets of the African city and less than 60% are enrolled in school. In addition, 800 000 children have abandoned the lessons because of the war. In the Horn of Africa food for small children is extremely important: we need to find multivitamin food, rice, milk powder. Every day the Salesians working in Ethiopia distribute approximately 2 000 meals. The Salesian Missions work in over 130 countries in favor of the most vulnerable children and adolescents by offering them education and professional training, a safe place to live, love and respect. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/11/2011)
- 2015-01-08 - The Holy See expresses gratitude to local Churches in Africa fighting Ebola
- 2014-12-12 - The anti-terrorism laws cause concern for the respect of human rights and democracy
- 2014-11-29 - Flexibility in health systems and community approach that adapts to the daily realities of HIV-positive people
- 2014-10-10 - The campaign "Let us turn over a new leaf, for democratic change in Africa" has been launched
- 2014-09-25 - Ebola and witchcraft: children accused of causing the spread of the virus
- 2014-06-25 - Ebola in West Africa: massive deployment of resources needed
- 2014-06-23 - "Immigrants are transforming our Church", say the Catholic Bishops of North Africa
- 2014-06-11 - Economics and Finance: Is Africa the continent of the future?
- 2014-04-25 - President of SECAM: "Africans have to rely greatly on their own human material resources"
- 2013-12-02 - No discrimination of AIDS patients; emphasis on "miraculous" solutions