AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "We bring a word of encouragement and evangelization to these detainee brothers ": volunteers at the VI Pastoral Care Meeting in Prisons
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The sixth National Pastoral Care Meeting in Prisons ended yesterday, November 17, organized by the Episcopal Conference of Colombia (ECC). According to a statement sent by the ECC to Fides, the event was attended by the Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference, Archbishop Juan Vicente Cordoba, Auxiliary of Bucaramanga, and the Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Aldo Cavalli. The meeting highlighted the work of volunteers, such as the prison in Zipaquirá, Department of Cundinamarca, where the nearly 280 detainees are given lectures and formation courses, in addition to having the opportunity to attend Mass.
In this city there are 13 volunteers that give one hour a week for this service, but many of the inmates ask that volunteers to stay longer with them. The same situation we find in Valledupar, where since 2003 45 volunteers attend the three prisons in this city. "We bring a word of encouragement, the voice of God and the evangelization to these detained brothers" said a volunteer, adding that in Valledupar a job after prison is fulfilled, with prisoners' families. Volunteers managed to ensure that prisoners have the opportunity to confess and receive the sacraments of Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation, besides an increase in the presence of chaplains in prisons. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/11/2011)
- 2015-11-24 - Peace process: no need to hasten the signing without verifying the international law
- 2015-11-21 - The Church: need to clarify the referendum to have lasting peace
- 2015-11-19 - "There are connections between the conflicts in the Middle East and environmental issues" says a Jesuit
- 2015-11-16 - Poverty on the rise in Santa Fe and Chapinero: daily wage and lack of retirement among the causes
- 2015-11-12 - Meeting of the Pan-Amazonian Network: necessity to listen to indigenous peoples to protect creation
- 2015-10-20 - Mgr. Castro Quiroga: "The opening of dialogue with ELN is positive news"
- 2015-10-19 - "Pope Francis" food bank for needy families in Villavicencio
- 2015-10-09 - Cardinal Pimiento: "Vote-buying is a crime"
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation