AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "We bring a word of encouragement and evangelization to these detainee brothers ": volunteers at the VI Pastoral Care Meeting in Prisons
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The sixth National Pastoral Care Meeting in Prisons ended yesterday, November 17, organized by the Episcopal Conference of Colombia (ECC). According to a statement sent by the ECC to Fides, the event was attended by the Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference, Archbishop Juan Vicente Cordoba, Auxiliary of Bucaramanga, and the Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Aldo Cavalli. The meeting highlighted the work of volunteers, such as the prison in Zipaquirá, Department of Cundinamarca, where the nearly 280 detainees are given lectures and formation courses, in addition to having the opportunity to attend Mass.
In this city there are 13 volunteers that give one hour a week for this service, but many of the inmates ask that volunteers to stay longer with them. The same situation we find in Valledupar, where since 2003 45 volunteers attend the three prisons in this city. "We bring a word of encouragement, the voice of God and the evangelization to these detained brothers" said a volunteer, adding that in Valledupar a job after prison is fulfilled, with prisoners' families. Volunteers managed to ensure that prisoners have the opportunity to confess and receive the sacraments of Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation, besides an increase in the presence of chaplains in prisons. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/11/2011)
- 2014-12-22 - Even from pain comes the hope of peace, the process continues
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace
- 2014-12-01 - Children are half of the victims of landmines and prohibited explosive devices
- 2014-11-29 - Observatory for Reconciliation and Peace is created
- 2014-11-27 - Hunger and chronic malnutrition cause the death of a child every 33 hours
- 2014-11-26 - Sexual violence on women: a forgotten medical emergency
- 2014-11-26 - Peace talks in Cuba must continue