AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "We bring a word of encouragement and evangelization to these detainee brothers ": volunteers at the VI Pastoral Care Meeting in Prisons
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The sixth National Pastoral Care Meeting in Prisons ended yesterday, November 17, organized by the Episcopal Conference of Colombia (ECC). According to a statement sent by the ECC to Fides, the event was attended by the Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference, Archbishop Juan Vicente Cordoba, Auxiliary of Bucaramanga, and the Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Aldo Cavalli. The meeting highlighted the work of volunteers, such as the prison in Zipaquirá, Department of Cundinamarca, where the nearly 280 detainees are given lectures and formation courses, in addition to having the opportunity to attend Mass.
In this city there are 13 volunteers that give one hour a week for this service, but many of the inmates ask that volunteers to stay longer with them. The same situation we find in Valledupar, where since 2003 45 volunteers attend the three prisons in this city. "We bring a word of encouragement, the voice of God and the evangelization to these detained brothers" said a volunteer, adding that in Valledupar a job after prison is fulfilled, with prisoners' families. Volunteers managed to ensure that prisoners have the opportunity to confess and receive the sacraments of Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation, besides an increase in the presence of chaplains in prisons. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/11/2011)
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
- 2014-07-03 - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country