AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "We bring a word of encouragement and evangelization to these detainee brothers ": volunteers at the VI Pastoral Care Meeting in Prisons
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The sixth National Pastoral Care Meeting in Prisons ended yesterday, November 17, organized by the Episcopal Conference of Colombia (ECC). According to a statement sent by the ECC to Fides, the event was attended by the Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference, Archbishop Juan Vicente Cordoba, Auxiliary of Bucaramanga, and the Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Aldo Cavalli. The meeting highlighted the work of volunteers, such as the prison in Zipaquirá, Department of Cundinamarca, where the nearly 280 detainees are given lectures and formation courses, in addition to having the opportunity to attend Mass.
In this city there are 13 volunteers that give one hour a week for this service, but many of the inmates ask that volunteers to stay longer with them. The same situation we find in Valledupar, where since 2003 45 volunteers attend the three prisons in this city. "We bring a word of encouragement, the voice of God and the evangelization to these detained brothers" said a volunteer, adding that in Valledupar a job after prison is fulfilled, with prisoners' families. Volunteers managed to ensure that prisoners have the opportunity to confess and receive the sacraments of Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation, besides an increase in the presence of chaplains in prisons. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/11/2011)
- 2015-08-20 - Pope Francis: a delegate of the Holy See in the peace process
- 2015-08-13 - Consolidating REDPAM Catholic Pan-Amazon church network
- 2015-08-12 - “Let the people speak about mining activity”, Bishops’ statement
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"