ASIA/THAILAND - Alert for floods continues: risk of diseases and attacks from the reptiles escaped from farms
Bangkok (Agenzia Fides) - The state of alert caused by the severe floods that are hitting Thailand since the month of July continues. This is the worst recorded in the last 50 years and have so far caused 562 deaths in 22 affected provinces, 5 million people have been affected. Hundreds of thousands of villagers have been forced to flee to makeshift shelters in the south of the country. In the region of Bangkok shops are closed, food supplies are not found. Most people are forced to flee the city. Besides the risk of contracting diseases caused by contaminated water, the inhabitants of the affected areas are at risk for attacks of snakes and crocodiles which have escaped in recent weeks from several commercial farms in the capital. The intensity of this weather phenomena is due to three tropical storms that have hit the country relentlessly, in addition to the abundant monsoon rains. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 14/11/2011)
- 2014-01-13 ASIA/THAILAND - Tensions and protests in Bangkok, the Church: "May the outcome be peaceful"
- 2013-12-10 ASIA/THAILAND - New elections on February 2, but "the situation changes day by day", says the Director of the PMS
- 2013-11-15 ASIA/THAILAND - Children used in boxing combat: a new form of child slavery
- 2013-09-24 ASIA/THAILAND - A quarter of the Country's provinces are flooded: flood alert
- 2013-02-20 ASIA - The next Pope and the hopes of Asia
- 2013-01-03 ASIA/THAILAND - Stop the deportation of the Rohingya boat people
- 2012-07-26 ASIA/THAILAND - Franciscans in mission among AIDS patients, modern "lepers"
- 2012-06-05 ASIA/THAILAND-Alarming phenomenon of child trafficking: forced to sell flowers and to beg
- 2012-02-13 ASIA/THAILAND - Appeal to the Government for Valentine's Day: it is urgent to stop prostitution
- 2011-11-14 ASIA/THAILAND - Alert for floods continues: risk of diseases and attacks from the reptiles escaped from farms