AMERICA/PARAGUAY-The family, a solid presence in society: a pastoral letter is under review on behalf of the Bishops
Asunción (Agenzia Fides) – The 192nd Assembly of the Bishops of Paraguay is being held, and among the various issues brought to the attention of the Episcopate, the Catholic University is dealing with preparing a pastoral Letter on the Family and Solidarity of the Church (see Fides 04/11/2011).
Regarding the Catholic University, the relationship of the academic authorities reports an increase in student population for the prestige it has consolidated equal to the National University of Asuncion. The new Secretary General of the University, the lawyer Cesar Rufinella, replacing Esteban Kriskovich, who was appointed Ambassador of Paraguay to the Holy See were presented. In 2011 the Catholic University has increased scholarships at a national level for people with limited financial resources.
Regarding the pastoral Letter on the situation of the family, a draft of the text was presented, taking into account the real situation of families in Paraguay. The intention is to score a solid presence of the family in society and, on behalf of the Catholic Church’s Pastors, to provide guidance to ensure the unity and security of the Paraguayan family.
The Ordinary Assembly, which began on Monday, November 7, will end on Friday 11th. According to information gathered by Fides, the Bishops are always concerned about the situation in the country, especially with regards to the President's promises on land reform, which he had so much talked about during the campaign. I am also concerned about the social reality, the great inequality among the population that is increasing every day due to the low capacity to generate jobs and for the environmental deterioration that does not stop: in the eastern region there is only 7% of the forest and there is a deforestation of 500 hectares per day in Chaco. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/11/2011)
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' Conference asks to "put a stop to corruption"
- 2014-11-07 - The Bishops in defense of indigenous people appeal to the InterAmerican Commission on Human Rights
- 2014-10-06 - Thousands of children abused and forced to live on the street
- 2014-09-29 - The natives are victims of poverty and racism
- 2014-09-15 - “Terrorism can never be combatted with terrorism”; local Catholic church denounces military violence
- 2014-07-28 - Thousands of children displaced due to the floods
- 2014-06-04 - Tension among the population of Ñacunday and Saint Lucia
- 2014-05-27 - Isolated due to the rain and without the aid of the authorities, "but we are also Paraguayans", cries the Vicar Apostolic of Chaco Paraguayo