AFRICA/MALAWI - A testimony of the Church’s growth in the Country: 50 years of the diocese of Mzuzu
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) - The diocese of Mzuzu in Malawi celebrated on November 5 its Golden Jubilee in the Cathedral dedicated to St. Peter. According to a note sent to Fides, the Eucharistic celebration was presided by Archbishop Joseph Mukasa Zuza, Bishop of the diocese, who is also the President of the Episcopal Conference of Malawi. During the Mass several African songs were sung, especially in Tumbuka, one of the most widely spoken languages in the region.
In his address, Archbishop Nicola Girasoli, Apostolic Nuncio to Zambia and Malawi, praised Mgr. Zuza for the strong pastoral initiatives to serve the people of the region and especially for his tireless pastoral work. The Nuncio said that in recent years he noticed through his visits that the diocese of Mzuzu is well managed and very well organized. Mgr. Girasoli then called on the Catholic community, in particular the laity, to remain united to the Church.
Mgr. Zuzathanked the Nuncio for the help offered and for his concern about the creation of the new diocese of Karonga. The Bishop of Mzuzu added that the celebration of the Golden Jubilee is a witness of the Catholic Church’s growth in the country and asked the faithful to continue to support the diocese of Karonga. The diocese of Karonga covers the districts of Chitipa and Karonga, which were part of the Northern Deanery of the Diocese of Mzuzu.
Mgr. Zuza finally thanked Mgr.Girasoli, who will leave his post in Malawi and Zambia early next year as he is destined to another location for the service offered to the local Church.
The Apostolic Prefecture of Northern Malawi was erected on May 18, 1947 (by decree of 8 May 1947), as part of the Apostolic Vicariate of Malawi. On 3 March 1961, the Prefecture was elevated to the rank of dioceses. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/11/2011)
- 2013-02-25 AFRICA/MALAWI - Rich 20% of population silent to plight of 80% poor
- 2013-01-30 AFRICA/MALAWI - Funding for AIDS drugs have halved while the Country must cope with flood damage
- 2013-01-16 AFRICA/MALAWI - There is lack of food, water and health care for the people affected by the floods
- 2012-12-03 AFRICA/MALAWI - New food crisis in Malawi, denounces a missionary
- 2012-09-26 AFRICA/MALAWI - The Plenary Assembly of Bishops has begun: Year of Faith and Africae Munus are the focus of the Assembly
- 2012-04-23 AFRICA/MALAWI - "The political turning point has taken place, now we are waiting for economic reforms," said Fr. Gamba
- 2012-04-11 AFRICA/MALAWI - "A peaceful transition which confirms the spirit of reconciliation typical of Malawi," says a missionary
- 2012-03-21 AFRICA/MALAWI - Ultimatum to the President: the political clash in Malawi heightens
- 2012-01-21 AFRICA/MALAWI - The Catholic Church condemns the recent attacks on the stripping of women off their clothes
- 2011-12-28 AFRICA/MALAWI - A Christmas in poverty, the only hope for the population is the lottery