ASIA/THAILAND - The Camillians assist the flood victims and disadvantaged people with disabilities: free medical care, psychological support, food and hygiene
Rayong (Agenzia Fides) - Relief work in favor of the Thai population hit by one of the worst floods in 50 years continues. At the forefront there are also Camillian missionaries, who through the Camillian Pastoral Centre have so far distributed in the district of Latkrabang, 1,186 bags with food and hygiene products containing rice, canned fish, mosquito repellent, plasters, creams, disinfectants, detergents and soap. According to information sent to Fides, the Camillian hospital group has mobilized two medical units, one at the local Catholic church, which has so far assisted 130 patients, and another at the Camillian Home, where over 120 patients have been treated. The medical team has distributed free medicines and food supplements to improve the overall health of the survivors, even offering them free medical care, assistance and access to drinking water supplies. Most adults and children affected have been treated for fungal infections, colds, cough and fever.
The Camillian Home group has distributed more than 80 bags of food and hygiene products to people with disabilities within the district of Latkrabang and other 20 bags are expected. Moreover, the structure is supporting people with disabilities within the community, providing them with food, medicine, training, equipment, and a very important element, establishing a personal connection with them in order not to make them feel alone. The teams work for disabled people who are the most disadvantaged in the community 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. Not all those who are helped by the Camillian community need long-term support, among them single mothers who have a child who is severely disabled, the elderly and grandparents who look after disabled children abandoned by their parents. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 04/11/2011)
- 2013-02-20 ASIA - The next Pope and the hopes of Asia
- 2013-01-03 ASIA/THAILAND - Stop the deportation of the Rohingya boat people
- 2012-07-26 ASIA/THAILAND - Franciscans in mission among AIDS patients, modern "lepers"
- 2012-06-05 ASIA/THAILAND-Alarming phenomenon of child trafficking: forced to sell flowers and to beg
- 2012-02-13 ASIA/THAILAND - Appeal to the Government for Valentine's Day: it is urgent to stop prostitution
- 2011-11-14 ASIA/THAILAND - Alert for floods continues: risk of diseases and attacks from the reptiles escaped from farms
- 2011-11-12 ASIA/THAILAND - Different religious communities are united in the aid to the flood refugee victims
- 2011-11-04 ASIA/THAILAND - The Camillians assist the flood victims and disadvantaged people with disabilities: free medical care, psychological support, food and hygiene
- 2011-11-03 ASIA/THAILAND - Hospitals on alert for the supply of drugs hampered by floods
- 2011-10-28 ASIA/THAILAND - Imminent and inevitable disaster in the capital because of heavy monsoon rains