AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops are the "best available witnesses" for the elections on November 6
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - To monitor the upcoming elections and to ensure transparency, the Bishops are the "best possible witnesses": this is why the organization "Ethics and Transparency," which has the task of monitoring the progress of the vote, has called Mgr. Leopoldo Brenes Solorzano, Archbishop of Managua and Mgr.Silvio José Báez Ortega Auxiliary Bishop of Managua, to attend the operations of "quick count" for the national elections scheduled for November 6. The mechanism covers about 1,200 seats called JRV (Junta of Receptor rating), for which the calculations are automated.
The organization's executive director, Robert Courtney, explained that the methodology requires the franchise to deliver a "credible witness" of the printouts of the "test vote" made, saying that the Bishops are "the most trustworthy witnesses available" in the country. Yesterday, October 28 members of the organization were welcomed by the Bishops for the delivery and explanation of this sample.
As the vote approaches, in past weeks, hundreds of people protested for the non-delivery of thousands of identity cards, essential to exercise the vote. The Supreme Electoral Council (CSE) has admitted that the offices in the municipality Murra, in the northern province of Nueva Segovia, on the border with Honduras, have about 30,000 missing cards: But also accused the Independent Liberal Party to promote violent demonstrations . The police Spokesman, Fernando Borge asked the Bishop of the northern province of Esteli, Mgr. Juan Abelardo Mata Guevara, to intercede to prevent violence.
Approximately 3.4 million Nicaraguan citizens will vote on Nov. 6 to choose president, vice president, 90 deputies in the National Assembly and 20 in the Central American Parliament (Parlacen). (CE) (Agenzia 29/10/2011)
- 2013-03-08 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - No to the exploitation of gold in Matagalpa, the clergy’s statement
- 2013-02-28 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The new Nuncio: Holy See and Nicaragua together for the common good and for the family
- 2012-12-13 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - 300 000 Nicaraguan children work instead of going to school
- 2012-12-05 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Nicaragua celebrates 450 years of devotion to Mary
- 2012-11-22 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Challenges to the family in the national reality: a Bishops' letter is being prepared
- 2012-10-05 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Taxi strike blocks the capital, Archbishop appeals for calm and dialogue
- 2012-09-27 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops on the November 4 elections: "an opportunity to reflect on how power is exercised and politics practiced "
- 2012-09-26 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "To become active subjects in the transformation of the country": today the pastoral Letter of the Bishops
- 2012-08-28 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Alarm for the phenomenon of forced pregnancies of young girls and adolescents
- 2012-07-23 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - A course on the Social Doctrine of the Church has been inaugurated at the UCICAM