ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The list of priests killed in 40 years of mission in Mindanao
Cotabato (Agenzia Fides) - There are 13 priests who have been killed on the island of Mindanao since 1970 to date: 4 of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, three of the Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions (PIME), a Claretian, a Jesuit, a member of the Society of the Divine Word, a missionary from St. Columba, two diocesan priests. The killings took place under the governments of Ferdinand Marcos, Corazon Aquino, Fidel Ramos, Joseph Estrada, Gloria Arroyo, Benigno Aquino. 12 crimes remain unpunished, only that of Fr. Tullio Favali was resolved. The priests killed were all engaged in pastoral care and witnessed the love of Christ, dedicating themselves to the promotion, development, protection of human rights, the evangelization of the poorest and most marginalized of the island.
Here is the list of murders processed in chronological order by Fides, on the basis of data provided by local churches:
- November 3, 1971: Fr. Nelson Javellana, OMI, director of Notre Dame in Maguindanao.
- April 13, 1981. Fr. Godofredo Alingal, SJ, pastor of Kibawe in Bukidnon.
- April 11, 1985: Fr. Tullio Favali, PIME, assistant pastor of Tulunan, North Cotabato. Killed by a paramilitary group led by the Manero brothers.
- 1 July 1988: Fr Mario Estorba, SVD. Pastor of Loreto, Agusan del Sur, killed in Butuan City.
- April 16, 1989: Fr. Dionisio Malalay, 32, assistant pastor of Tabina, Zamboanga del Sur
- October 14, 1991: Fr. Nerylito Satur, 40, pastor of Valencia, Bukidnon.
- May 20, 1992: Fr. Salvatore Carzedda, 49, PIME, who was killed in Zamboanga City
- February 4, 1997: The Bishop Benjamin de Jesus, OMI, Apostolic Vicar of Jolo, killed a few meters from the Cathedral
- May 3, 2000: Fr. Rhoel Gallardo, Claretian, kidnapped and killed in Basilan
- December 28, 2000: Fr. Benjamin C. Inocencio, OMI, Rector of the Vicariate of Jolo
- August 28, 2001: Fr. Rufus Haley, the Society of St. Columban, 57, killed in Malabang
- January 15, 2008: Fr. Jesus Reynaldo Roda, OMI, Director of Notre Dame of Tabawan, Tawi-Tawi islands
- October 17, 2011, Fr. Fausto Tentorio, PIME, 59, killed in Arakan, North Cotabato.
(PA) (Agenzia Fides 29/10/2011)
- 2013-04-25 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Bishops' Appeal: "Cherish the earth to save Mindanao"
- 2013-04-24 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The religious: " Government insufficient on ecology, human rights, corruption, land reform"
- 2013-04-16 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - General Elections: the Church traces the identikit of the "good candidate"
- 2013-03-04 ASIA/PHILIPPINES – The activist killed in Boracay was a lay Catholic of the Vincentian Family
- 2013-02-28 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Church next to the tribals, in the face of abuses in the tourist paradise of Boracay
- 2013-01-30 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Bishops on the upcoming elections: we need a law against political dynasties
- 2013-01-22 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The typhoon also has an impact on maternal and child health
- 2013-01-14 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Schools reopen after the typhoon but there is still no electricity
- 2012-12-19 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Fr. Mendes: "Caritas volunteers and doctors are in danger because of the Taliban’s fury"
- 2012-12-19 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - President Aquino will sign the Reproductive Health Bill within the year. For the Church, "he is like a dictator"