ASIA/THAILAND - Imminent and inevitable disaster in the capital because of heavy monsoon rains
Bangkok (Agenzia Fides) - The National Rescue Centre in Thailand has predicted that four hundred million cubic meters of water will flood the capital, where the system is able to drain only small fractions of daily water. According to estimates, the floods will hit every area of Bangkok, and each area will have different levels of water. They also predict water drainage from the north and a tidal season. The government department in charge of irrigation is busy evacuating the city pumping the flood around the inhabited perimeter through channels. More than 8 million people have been alerted in view of a state of emergency out of the ordinary. The Bangkok Metropolitan Authority (BMA) had reassured people about the flood, but according to a recent relief carried out, it was forced to announce that a major imminent and inevitable disaster is on the way. Since July, according to the National Relief Center, across the country 28 of the 76 provinces were flooded by monsoon rains, six of the major dams are 99% of their capacity and beyond. The airport where the center was operative was closed, two terminals are under 80cm of water and all flights are blocked. Until a few days ago 821 deaths were registered due to floods in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and the Philippines, where more than 8 million people continue to be victims of the phenomenon. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 28/10/2011)
- 2014-09-30 - The armed conflicts, which so far have caused 6000 deaths, also involve minors
- 2014-07-01 - Half a century at the service of the Church and of society, and religious institutes look to the future
- 2014-05-23 - After the coup, Bishops and religious leaders become mediators between the warring parties
- 2014-05-20 - Martial law declared: for the Church it is urgent "to open a channel between the parties"
- 2014-01-13 - Tensions and protests in Bangkok, the Church: "May the outcome be peaceful"
- 2013-12-10 - New elections on February 2, but "the situation changes day by day", says the Director of the PMS
- 2013-11-15 - Children used in boxing combat: a new form of child slavery
- 2013-09-24 - A quarter of the Country's provinces are flooded: flood alert
- 2013-02-20 - The next Pope and the hopes of Asia
- 2013-01-03 - Stop the deportation of the Rohingya boat people