AFRICA/GHANA - Meeting of the Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM)
Accra (Agenzia Fides) - The second annual meeting of the Symposium of the Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM) is taking place in Accra, Ghana, from October 23 to 26. A statement sent to Agenzia Fides recalls that on the occasion of World Mission Sunday, celebrated yesterday, Sunday, October 23, members of the Committee visited several parishes in Accra to concelebrate the Mass and talk about the importance of the mission.
During the four days of meetings, the Permanent Committee of SECAM will discuss: a) The theme of the Plenary Assembly of the SECAM to be held in 2013 in the Democratic Republic of Congo. b) The issues discussed between a representative of the SECAM and the Episcopal Conference of Germany in Monaco of Bavaria and Berlin, in March 2011. c) The evaluation of a working visit of a SECAM delegation to the Episcopal Conference of the United States in May 2011. d) The report on World Youth Day (WYD) in Madrid in August 2011, and the possibility of hosting World Youth Day in Africa in a not too distant future. e) The Apostolic Visit of Pope Benedict XVI in Benin, where the Apostolic Exhortation of the Second Special Assembly of the Synod of Bishops for Africa will be promulgated. f) The financial and budgetary situation of the SECAM Secretariat for the year 2012.
The Committee will also examine issues related to the European and African bishops' meeting to be held in Rome in February 2012. During the meeting Mgr. Giovanni Battista Gandolfo, Responsible of the Service for Charitable Interventions in the Third World of the Italian Episcopal Conference (CEI), the project "Solar energy" funded by the CEI in favor of the Secretariat of SECAM will be inaugurated. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/10/2011)
- 2015-10-08 - Inquiry on corrupt judges: for the Bishops it is "a scandal that undermines the principle of legality"
- 2015-08-04 - AFRICA/GHANA – Bishops launch the African Year of Reconciliation
- 2015-06-12 - The Bishops: "let us avoid repeating the language of those who want to destroy the family"
- 2015-05-12 - Appeal from Christian leaders: "Young people, stay in Africa, Europe does not guarantee comforts and pleasures"
- 2015-01-02 - "Corruption and widespread immorality threaten the nation", say the Bishops
- 2014-11-04 - The Bishops: "postpone the African Cup of Nations due to the Ebola situation"
- 2014-09-25 - "A fast-growing Country, where one feels the effects of secularization", says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2013-11-19 - " Ghana needs a new evangelization", say the Bishops
- 2013-07-13 - The Right to health care in the Constitution has to be included: the Catholic Campaign
- 2013-02-19 - Africa’s Catholic bishops confirm commitment to promoting human development