ASIA/KAZAKHSTAN - For the first time the Mass for World Mission Day will be celebrated in Russian
Astana (Agenzia Fides) - There are many initiatives for World Mission Day in Kazakhstan, where the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) were established in 2008 and since then continue to work in order to raise the Kazakhs awareness to the objectives of the PMS around the world. Father Bonaventure Garofalo, National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in the country, told Fides that until now there were no Russian-language texts that explain the existence and significance of World Mission Day and the PMS. "I have sent several texts on the Pontifical Mission Societies to every parish in Kazakhstan, which previously did not exist in Russian, there were also no texts that explained the existence and objectives of the PMS - says father Garofalo -. In preparation for World Mission Day I have sent to all priests and religious a brief introduction to read in order to get familiarity with this important event which will be held on Sunday, October 23".
"The texts - continues Fr. Garofalo - include an explanation of each of the Pontifical Societies, their founders and their history. We also managed to obtain the translation of the text in Russian, never officially existed so far, for World Mission Day’s Mass. The text, that every parish has already received, was translated by Msgr. Athanasius Schneider, Bishop of Astana, from the original Latin. I myself translated the Holy Father Benedict XVI’s Message for the day and have asked for it to be read in all parishes. I wrote a letter explaining the objectives of Mission Day, I encouraged all priests and religious to explain to the faithful the reasons why we should be thankful for this Day, in addition to the support that our spiritual and economic missions receive by the Church. I have invited them also to encourage people to devote time and talents to the Church".(AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/10/2011)
- 2014-03-01 - ASIA/KAZAKHSTAN – Prison for Christian pastor “a threat to the mental health of the people”
- 2014-01-07 - Christians were fined for possession of "extremist books"
- 2013-09-16 - A new Greek-Catholic church, in memory of bishops and priests prisoners in the gulag
- 2013-07-13 - Petition for the release of a Christian Pastor jailed for false accusations
- 2012-09-10 - A new cathedral dedicated to Our Lady of Fatima in the land of the gulag
- 2011-10-21 - For the first time the Mass for World Mission Day will be celebrated in Russian
- 2011-09-07 - New law on religions, the Church stays proceedings
- 2011-06-04 - Concern for extremism: a new "Agency for Religious Affairs"
- 2011-05-07 - A new Center to help victims of religious extremism
- 2010-12-01 - “Visas” for missionaries and religious freedom: the expectations of the local Church