AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Missionary October amid difficulties and indifference, in a poor and starving country
Addis Ababa (Agenzia Fides) - In Ethiopia, the celebration of Missionary October is not felt for several reasons: the different calendar, the major presence of communities of the Eastern rite, the weakness of the structures of the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS). This is what Father Angelo Antolini ofm, National Director of the PMS in the African country says to Fides. "As national Director – he says - depending on my commitments as a missionary evangelization in an area the size of a third of Italy, I have tried to draw attention, especially the Bishops, with numerous letters and recommendations. In the first week of September, I organized a 'two day' meeting in Addis Ababa for diocesan Directors of the PMS, to reflect on the theme of the urgency of the first evangelization in the world, and in particular in Ethiopia. The meeting was definitely positive, we look forward to seeing the fruits. "Recounting the many difficulties, and his saddness concerning the critical situation, in which this population lives, Father Angelo states that "Mission Day was never celebrated in two or three dioceses of the country" and this year has done everything to raise awareness with regards to this event. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/10/2011)
- 2015-07-31 - “Print your Future” : Graphic Art for very vulnerable young people
- 2015-04-24 - The Bishops: "We plead to the human traffickers who are tricking the youth to leave their country through illegal means to stop their acts"
- 2015-04-14 - Easter resurrection and the birth of twins in one of the most forgotten areas in the world
- 2015-03-11 - A primary school for children in Hosanna
- 2015-02-24 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – First step for a representative of the Catholic Church at the African Union
- 2015-01-09 - Cardinal-designate Souraphiel: "I will work for the Church so that it obtains the observer status in the African Union"
- 2014-12-11 - "I saw the urgency of the first evangelization with my own eyes" says a Fidei Donum priest
- 2014-12-02 - A more functional school for 4000 children in one of the poorest regions of the Country
- 2014-08-11 - Blessing of the nutritional and educational center in the Somali region of the Country
- 2014-07-05 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – Healthcare and mobile school services for nomad pastoralists