AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Missionary October amid difficulties and indifference, in a poor and starving country
Addis Ababa (Agenzia Fides) - In Ethiopia, the celebration of Missionary October is not felt for several reasons: the different calendar, the major presence of communities of the Eastern rite, the weakness of the structures of the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS). This is what Father Angelo Antolini ofm, National Director of the PMS in the African country says to Fides. "As national Director – he says - depending on my commitments as a missionary evangelization in an area the size of a third of Italy, I have tried to draw attention, especially the Bishops, with numerous letters and recommendations. In the first week of September, I organized a 'two day' meeting in Addis Ababa for diocesan Directors of the PMS, to reflect on the theme of the urgency of the first evangelization in the world, and in particular in Ethiopia. The meeting was definitely positive, we look forward to seeing the fruits. "Recounting the many difficulties, and his saddness concerning the critical situation, in which this population lives, Father Angelo states that "Mission Day was never celebrated in two or three dioceses of the country" and this year has done everything to raise awareness with regards to this event. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/10/2011)
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The Catholic Church in Ethiopia is a small reality appreciated by all
- 2013-03-22 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Conflicts, floods, migration leading causes of early school drop-out
- 2013-02-13 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The Apostolic Prefect of Robe to the faithful: "Let us show how much we love and we care about our Mother Church"
- 2013-02-01 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - One of the five countries in the world where there is 50% of maternal mortality
- 2013-01-08 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Orthodox Christmas celebrated in the small community of Adaba
- 2012-11-21 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - New maternal and child health center in Soddo
- 2012-09-10 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Ethiopian New Year 2005: "We must pray for peace, justice, prosperity and be ready to any event without fear, strong in faith and hope"
- 2012-08-21 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - A difficult phase for the succession of Premier Zenawi begins
- 2012-08-10 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Addis Ababa and Nairobi work together to avoid new tribal clashes along the common border
- 2012-08-09 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Over 800 child beggars receive an education thanks to the Sisters of St. Vincent de Paul