AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Our nation is in a state of serious crisis", say the leaders of Christian Churches in South Africa
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - "Our nation is in a state of crisis, a crisis of dignity and discipline, a crisis of education and crisis in our communities. Together, the Christian communities can help turn this situation around and help to restore the dignity of all the people we serve", said the 16 major Christian Church Leaders of South Africa (including the Catholic) in a statement sent to Fides at the end of their annual meeting in Gauteng.
"The health and education sectors are in shambles. South Africa ranks 49 out of 53 countries in educational standards and 138 out of 139 countries in dealing AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria", denounce the 30 southafrican Christian leaders. The religious representatives also expressed their concern at the lack of discipline in schools, "teachers loyalty seems to fall more with their trade unions than the children they teach". Church Leaders asked that church communities, organizations, buildings and other structures be used to complement existing schooling to alleviate this crisis.
"The involvement of faith communities in public health issues is not an option", said the Anglican Archbishop Thabo Makgoba, who was elected President of the "National Church Leaders' Consultation" for the next three years. He called on all Churches and NGOs working in the education and health sectors to co-operate and coordinate work towards a holistic solution to these issues that threaten the dignity of every person in South Africa
"The State and the Church are both complicit in failing society and history will judge us harshly", said the Bishop Lunga Ka Siboto of the Ethiopian Episcopal Church, who added: "We can no longer sweep these issues under the carpet nor ignore their severity". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/10/2011)
- 2014-04-04 - The Bishops: "President, give an explanation of the excessive expenditure on the renovation of your house with public money"
- 2014-03-10 - The role of the General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences on the subject of reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transition
- 2014-02-19 - South African Bishops: "Go and vote, because this right has been won with blood"
- 2014-02-10 - Bishops’ message in view of the elections on May 7: "Let us carefully choose who to vote for"
- 2014-01-29 - "No to laws that discriminate homosexuals": editorial of the Catholic Southern Cross
- 2013-12-10 - AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – Mandela; Cardinal Napier: "Grateful for what he did for South Africa and the world"
- 2013-12-06 - "Let us pay tribute to Mandela fighting for his ideals", write the Catholic Bishops
- 2013-11-05 - Parish priest brutally assaulted in Pretoria
- 2013-10-15 - "Corruption is theft from the poor " denounce the Bishops of Southern Africa
- 2013-06-05 - "Protect Somali nationals in South Africa", The Prime Minister of Somalia’s appeal to President Zuma