AFRICA/KENYA-Seven people killed in a raid in Isiolo, among them two children; the condemnation of the Church
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - At least seven people were brutally murdered on October 14 during an assault in Ngaremara, in the Isiolo County, in northeastern Kenya. Among the dead there were two children. During the raid nothing was stolen from the victims. The massacre was strongly condemned, as reported by the CISA agency, by Archbishop Anthony Ireri Mukobo, Apostolic Vicar of Isiolo. Mgr. Mukobo said that the government must provide adequate protection to its faithful and complained about the lack of law enforcement.
"We have lost innocent people, including children going to school still in their uniforms. Due to insecurity, many families living in Daaba have fled their homes and taken refuge elsewhere. All schools in Ngaremara, Daaba, Arimet, Chumviele and Atan have been closed" denounced the Apostolic Vicar.
Mgr. Mukobo urged political leaders in the area to avoid fueling the tribal conflicts for political purposes and to preserve life. The Bishop urged the government to convene a peace meeting for the tribes involved in the violence in a neutral venue. "Let us be guided by the words of our national anthem. Let us ensure that justice is our shield and our defender, and that we may live together in unity, peace and freedom", concluded Mgr. Mukobo. The Catholic Church has mobilized to help the survivors of the massacre. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/10/2011)
- 2014-01-07 AFRICA/KENYA - Food, clothing, shelter, water: emergency for Sudanese refugees
- 2013-11-19 AFRICA/KENYA - Polio alert in the Horn of Africa: planned vaccination campaigns for millions of children
- 2013-11-11 AFRICA/KENYA - Agreement for the repatriation of one million Somali refugees
- 2013-11-09 AFRICA/KENYA - The Bishops of Kenya: insecurity, corruption and greed devastate the nation
- 2013-10-24 AFRICA/KENYA - Evangelical leaders in Mombasa: we will not be intimidated by the murder of two pastors"
- 2013-10-02 AFRICA/KENYA – Interreligious prayer for the victims of the attack at the Westgate Mall
- 2013-09-27 AFRICA/KENYA - Controversy over the assault at Westgate
- 2013-09-25 AFRICA/KENYA – End of the siege at the mall in Nairobi. Cardinal Njue visits the wounded
- 2013-09-24 AFRICA/KENYA – Attack in Nairobi: A Bishop invites to pray also via twitter
- 2013-09-23 AFRICA/KENYA - Religious leaders united: "we are convinced beyond doubt that the attempt to sow seeds of discord between Christians and Muslims will fail"