AFRICA/KENYA-Seven people killed in a raid in Isiolo, among them two children; the condemnation of the Church
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - At least seven people were brutally murdered on October 14 during an assault in Ngaremara, in the Isiolo County, in northeastern Kenya. Among the dead there were two children. During the raid nothing was stolen from the victims. The massacre was strongly condemned, as reported by the CISA agency, by Archbishop Anthony Ireri Mukobo, Apostolic Vicar of Isiolo. Mgr. Mukobo said that the government must provide adequate protection to its faithful and complained about the lack of law enforcement.
"We have lost innocent people, including children going to school still in their uniforms. Due to insecurity, many families living in Daaba have fled their homes and taken refuge elsewhere. All schools in Ngaremara, Daaba, Arimet, Chumviele and Atan have been closed" denounced the Apostolic Vicar.
Mgr. Mukobo urged political leaders in the area to avoid fueling the tribal conflicts for political purposes and to preserve life. The Bishop urged the government to convene a peace meeting for the tribes involved in the violence in a neutral venue. "Let us be guided by the words of our national anthem. Let us ensure that justice is our shield and our defender, and that we may live together in unity, peace and freedom", concluded Mgr. Mukobo. The Catholic Church has mobilized to help the survivors of the massacre. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/10/2011)
- 2015-11-27 - The greetings of a resident in Kibera to Pope Francis: "I am proud to live in an informal settlement"
- 2015-11-25 - Bishops of Kenya: "everything is ready to welcome Pope Francis"
- 2015-11-24 - AFRICA/KENYA – Nairobi: conference on Land grabbing and just governance organized by African Bishops
- 2015-11-24 - The Bishop of Maralal: "May Pope Francis' message of reconciliation help us to overcome tribal violence"
- 2015-11-21 - AFRICA/KENYA – The children of Holy Childhood will meet the Pope
- 2015-11-09 - The Bishops: "The Pope’s visit invites us to reflect on the values of the nation"
- 2015-11-05 - "Pope Francis' visit is a blessing and an opportunity for Kenyans"
- 2015-11-03 - "Curtain up for the children of the Little Prince": A theater school in the slum in Kibera
- 2015-11-03 - Bishops' new appeal: "Let us join together as a nation on the occasion of Pope Francis' arrival"
- 2015-10-27 - UN programme to combat poverty and marginalisation and guarantee respect for the rights of women and children