AFRICA/KENYA-Seven people killed in a raid in Isiolo, among them two children; the condemnation of the Church
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - At least seven people were brutally murdered on October 14 during an assault in Ngaremara, in the Isiolo County, in northeastern Kenya. Among the dead there were two children. During the raid nothing was stolen from the victims. The massacre was strongly condemned, as reported by the CISA agency, by Archbishop Anthony Ireri Mukobo, Apostolic Vicar of Isiolo. Mgr. Mukobo said that the government must provide adequate protection to its faithful and complained about the lack of law enforcement.
"We have lost innocent people, including children going to school still in their uniforms. Due to insecurity, many families living in Daaba have fled their homes and taken refuge elsewhere. All schools in Ngaremara, Daaba, Arimet, Chumviele and Atan have been closed" denounced the Apostolic Vicar.
Mgr. Mukobo urged political leaders in the area to avoid fueling the tribal conflicts for political purposes and to preserve life. The Bishop urged the government to convene a peace meeting for the tribes involved in the violence in a neutral venue. "Let us be guided by the words of our national anthem. Let us ensure that justice is our shield and our defender, and that we may live together in unity, peace and freedom", concluded Mgr. Mukobo. The Catholic Church has mobilized to help the survivors of the massacre. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/10/2011)
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor
- 2015-02-12 - Attorney-General proposes a meeting to review the proposed regulations on religious groups
- 2015-02-06 - "No increase in fees for high schools" says the Church
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights
- 2015-01-14 - Tetanus vaccine: the first tests deny that it can be used for birth control
- 2014-12-30 - Anti-Christian attacks: Christian leaders urge the faithful to forgiveness
- 2014-12-23 - State and Church work together to help the people of Lake Turkana
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed