AFRICA/KENYA-Seven people killed in a raid in Isiolo, among them two children; the condemnation of the Church
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - At least seven people were brutally murdered on October 14 during an assault in Ngaremara, in the Isiolo County, in northeastern Kenya. Among the dead there were two children. During the raid nothing was stolen from the victims. The massacre was strongly condemned, as reported by the CISA agency, by Archbishop Anthony Ireri Mukobo, Apostolic Vicar of Isiolo. Mgr. Mukobo said that the government must provide adequate protection to its faithful and complained about the lack of law enforcement.
"We have lost innocent people, including children going to school still in their uniforms. Due to insecurity, many families living in Daaba have fled their homes and taken refuge elsewhere. All schools in Ngaremara, Daaba, Arimet, Chumviele and Atan have been closed" denounced the Apostolic Vicar.
Mgr. Mukobo urged political leaders in the area to avoid fueling the tribal conflicts for political purposes and to preserve life. The Bishop urged the government to convene a peace meeting for the tribes involved in the violence in a neutral venue. "Let us be guided by the words of our national anthem. Let us ensure that justice is our shield and our defender, and that we may live together in unity, peace and freedom", concluded Mgr. Mukobo. The Catholic Church has mobilized to help the survivors of the massacre. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/10/2011)
- 2015-09-08 - The protest of teachers takes to the street, the Church calls for dialogue
- 2015-09-04 - The Bishops of Kenya officially announce Pope Francis' visit
- 2015-09-03 - Bishop of Meru: "Fight for a culture that promotes family and life"
- 2015-08-17 - AFRICA/KENYA – Concern for reported destructive behaviour in local Catholic schools
- 2015-08-06 - By 2020, 20 Catholic radio stations will be created to cover the entire territory of Kenya
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp