AFRICA/KENYA-Seven people killed in a raid in Isiolo, among them two children; the condemnation of the Church
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - At least seven people were brutally murdered on October 14 during an assault in Ngaremara, in the Isiolo County, in northeastern Kenya. Among the dead there were two children. During the raid nothing was stolen from the victims. The massacre was strongly condemned, as reported by the CISA agency, by Archbishop Anthony Ireri Mukobo, Apostolic Vicar of Isiolo. Mgr. Mukobo said that the government must provide adequate protection to its faithful and complained about the lack of law enforcement.
"We have lost innocent people, including children going to school still in their uniforms. Due to insecurity, many families living in Daaba have fled their homes and taken refuge elsewhere. All schools in Ngaremara, Daaba, Arimet, Chumviele and Atan have been closed" denounced the Apostolic Vicar.
Mgr. Mukobo urged political leaders in the area to avoid fueling the tribal conflicts for political purposes and to preserve life. The Bishop urged the government to convene a peace meeting for the tribes involved in the violence in a neutral venue. "Let us be guided by the words of our national anthem. Let us ensure that justice is our shield and our defender, and that we may live together in unity, peace and freedom", concluded Mgr. Mukobo. The Catholic Church has mobilized to help the survivors of the massacre. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/10/2011)
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed
- 2014-12-02 - Coadjutor Bishop of Garissa: "One is trying to destabilize the north of Kenya"
- 2014-12-01 - Justice and Peace Commission: The state of insecurity is to be declared "national disaster"
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana