AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "Threats cannot intimidate the Nicaraguan Church", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
Matagalpa (Agenzia Fides) - Archbishop Rolando José Álvarez Lagos, Bishop of Matagalpa (Nicaragua) made a complaint to the local press that he received threats over the phone. One of his family answered the call and heard a male voice saying, "that stupid priest, if he does not shut up we will keep him quiet". So also Mgr. Alvarez Lagos is part of the list of threatened religious because they insist on inviting the population to vote "after having reflected" next 6 November, when the President, Vice President, 90 deputies for the National Assembly and 20 deputies for the Central American Parliament will be elected.
Mgr. Alvarez Lagos said at a press conference that he will not allow the National Police to intervene, "this is a threat to my life, which of course I consider is aimed at my prophetic mission that I carry out as Bishop of the Episcopal Conference and Bishop of Matagalpa, in order to illuminate the conscience of our people with the light of the Gospel". At the end of his speech before the press, the Bishop of Matagalpa said he will continue in his struggle to expose what is not right: "I will continue to share the word of the Lord, because these are not threats that can intimidate the Nicaraguan Church. This is shown with the various intimidations that have been made to other priests of the Archdiocese of Managua", concluded the Bishop. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/10/2011)
- 2013-03-08 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - No to the exploitation of gold in Matagalpa, the clergy’s statement
- 2013-02-28 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The new Nuncio: Holy See and Nicaragua together for the common good and for the family
- 2012-12-13 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - 300 000 Nicaraguan children work instead of going to school
- 2012-12-05 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Nicaragua celebrates 450 years of devotion to Mary
- 2012-11-22 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Challenges to the family in the national reality: a Bishops' letter is being prepared
- 2012-10-05 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Taxi strike blocks the capital, Archbishop appeals for calm and dialogue
- 2012-09-27 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops on the November 4 elections: "an opportunity to reflect on how power is exercised and politics practiced "
- 2012-09-26 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "To become active subjects in the transformation of the country": today the pastoral Letter of the Bishops
- 2012-08-28 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Alarm for the phenomenon of forced pregnancies of young girls and adolescents
- 2012-07-23 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - A course on the Social Doctrine of the Church has been inaugurated at the UCICAM