AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Morality, democracy and pluralism in the Bishops' document for the elections to be held on November 6
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua has published its message on the occasion of the upcoming elections on November 6, signed by all the bishops with the date of October 7, 2011, a copy of which Fides received. The introduction states that the message would like to offer some thoughts that closely concern the current electoral process and the upcoming national elections. "We cannot remain on the fringe of history in research and in building a more just and peaceful society, and the Church cannot renounce this task with the risk of being misunderstood, criticized and even ostracized by those who feel challenged by our pastoral message" says the document.
"Our message wants to strengthen, enlighten and motivate. Enhance the feeling of love for their homeland, to illuminate this moment in order not walk in darkness before figures that enjoy popularity, and finally motivate to exercise our right to vote", write the Bishops in the document.
In the text the Bishops remind us that the electoral process is lived with some concern and fears due to the lack of sincerity on behalf of the parties and leaders, for intolerance and violence that is seen in certain moments of the campaign, for some anomalies encountered at the moment of the ballot, for the rejection of part of the population for a confrontation with the electoral organization.
These are the practical challenges that today Nicaragua faces: rediscover and reinforce the human and moral wealth of the country; to become a democratic and pluralistic country, with a government where the people feel represented, to respect the political Constitution and the moral integrity in the institutions. Moreover, the Supreme Court of Justice should not be influenced by the parties and must be able to enjoy the confidence and respect of people; there should be no discrimination and the law is equal for everyone; the educational process has a preferential way; freedom of expression really exists.
At the end, the document recommends how to exercise the vote in a mature manner: check and know the political programs presented; to become interested in the lives of candidates and their view about the common good. The conclusion of the document is an invocation to Our Lady of the Rosary so that she intercedes for Nicaragua. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/10/2011)
- 2013-03-08 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - No to the exploitation of gold in Matagalpa, the clergy’s statement
- 2013-02-28 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The new Nuncio: Holy See and Nicaragua together for the common good and for the family
- 2012-12-13 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - 300 000 Nicaraguan children work instead of going to school
- 2012-12-05 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Nicaragua celebrates 450 years of devotion to Mary
- 2012-11-22 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Challenges to the family in the national reality: a Bishops' letter is being prepared
- 2012-10-05 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Taxi strike blocks the capital, Archbishop appeals for calm and dialogue
- 2012-09-27 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops on the November 4 elections: "an opportunity to reflect on how power is exercised and politics practiced "
- 2012-09-26 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "To become active subjects in the transformation of the country": today the pastoral Letter of the Bishops
- 2012-08-28 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Alarm for the phenomenon of forced pregnancies of young girls and adolescents
- 2012-07-23 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - A course on the Social Doctrine of the Church has been inaugurated at the UCICAM