AFRICA/IVORY COAST - The conditions of the refugee camp Duékoué are improving
Duékoué (Agenzia Fides) - After months of extreme difficulty for the overcrowding, the Salesian mission "Saint Therese of the Child Jesus" is finally coming out of the emergency situation, is what is said in a statement by Agency Ans of which a copy was sent to Fides. The living conditions within the camp are improving and traditional activities can restart and schedule the necessary work. Currently between 5 000 and 6 000 people are accommodated in the mission. Monday, September 26, 1,550 people were transferred to another camp, the largest and best equipped. But many, especially those who come from villages in the forests, and are traumatized by the events, even if they go out during the day, return at night to sleep. The professional training center (CPAR) has begun to function more or less normally even if some boys who attended it have disappeared. The school has resumed its activities, in September courses were not held and 11 students who presented themselves to do the official examination for the Certificate of Professional Aptitude (CAP) successfully passed. Registrations are open now for the new year, which will begin in November. Thanks to the assistance received during the worst phase of the crisis, the mission "Saint Therese of the Child Jesus" can now program jobs for the future. A portion of the contributions will be used to reconstruct the local need to redo the bathrooms, canal system, and repaint the parish; of primary importance will be to restore water and the electrical systems. At the CPAR the laboratories will need to be repainted, and some doors need to be replaced. Part of the furniture has to be redone, and some facilities to be completed. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2011)
- 2012-08-06 AFRICA/IVORY COAST - At least 6 people killed in an assault on a police station in Abidjan
- 2012-07-12 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - "No to the cultural leveling, yes to the rediscovery of the richness of African culture," said Cardinal Sarr
- 2012-06-14 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - Still deaths in the West, "There are too many weapons in circulation" reports the Bishop of Man
- 2012-06-11 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - Civilians fleeing the south-west after the killing of 7 "Blue Helmets"
- 2012-06-08 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - Mobile Libraries for orphaned and vulnerable children due to HIV/AIDS
- 2012-01-31 AFRICA/IVORY COAST - The newly formed Regional Episcopal Conference of West Africa (RECOWA-CERAO)
- 2012-01-24 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE-The Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples (CEP), Archbishop Filoni, to the Bishops of Western Africa: "to live fully, and in truth, an effective and affective pastoral solidarity"
- 2011-12-16 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - Victory of the President’s coalition
- 2011-12-10 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - Legislative elections: a strong turnout is not expected because of the outgoing President’s supporters’ boycott
- 2011-12-07 AFRICA/IVORY COAST - In the African country every 36 hours a child is abused