AFRICA/IVORY COAST - The conditions of the refugee camp Duékoué are improving
Duékoué (Agenzia Fides) - After months of extreme difficulty for the overcrowding, the Salesian mission "Saint Therese of the Child Jesus" is finally coming out of the emergency situation, is what is said in a statement by Agency Ans of which a copy was sent to Fides. The living conditions within the camp are improving and traditional activities can restart and schedule the necessary work. Currently between 5 000 and 6 000 people are accommodated in the mission. Monday, September 26, 1,550 people were transferred to another camp, the largest and best equipped. But many, especially those who come from villages in the forests, and are traumatized by the events, even if they go out during the day, return at night to sleep. The professional training center (CPAR) has begun to function more or less normally even if some boys who attended it have disappeared. The school has resumed its activities, in September courses were not held and 11 students who presented themselves to do the official examination for the Certificate of Professional Aptitude (CAP) successfully passed. Registrations are open now for the new year, which will begin in November. Thanks to the assistance received during the worst phase of the crisis, the mission "Saint Therese of the Child Jesus" can now program jobs for the future. A portion of the contributions will be used to reconstruct the local need to redo the bathrooms, canal system, and repaint the parish; of primary importance will be to restore water and the electrical systems. At the CPAR the laboratories will need to be repainted, and some doors need to be replaced. Part of the furniture has to be redone, and some facilities to be completed. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2011)
- 2015-11-13 - Launch of "Ecclesia TV", Catholic television in the Ivory Coast
- 2015-10-23 - AFRICA/COTE D’IVOIRE – Presidential election: religious leaders call for calm
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops urge to "work for reconciliation in view of elections"
- 2015-01-28 - In view of the elections there is growing concern for children abducted for macabre rituals
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishops denounce: "Ivorian society is sick at a spiritual and moral level"
- 2014-10-14 - 30% of children between 10 and 14 years of age have been sexually abused
- 2014-09-22 - Refugees in Liberia blocked due to Ebola
- 2014-09-18 - "The Church has to monitor society so that it does not go adrift", says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2014-05-07 - Twelve thousand children work as slaves on cocoa farms
- 2014-03-28 - New program for social integration and peace education