EUROPE/PORTUGAL - Volunteer Missionary: more than 1,130 youth and adults involved this year in carrying out projects in 4 continents
Lisbon (Agenzia Fides) - "Voluntary work: to commit oneself to the world in which we are all responsible" is the theme of the Twelfth Day of the Volunteer Missionary to be held on October 15 in Lisbon, at the Park of Nations. New volunteers, former volunteers, future volunteers, spiritual assistances, group leaders and all those interested will participate in this day of meeting, sharing, fraternity and reflection. According to the statement sent to Fides, in the morning there will be a reflection on the commitment of voluntary work with the presence of several witnesses, and in the afternoon participants will discover the challenges concerning voluntary work in a journey that will take place at the gardens of the Park of Nations .
More than 1,130 youth and adults this year are engaged in volunteer missionary projects in developing countries and in their own. In Portugal 846 volunteer missionaries work. In Africa, South America and Asia 287 Portuguese volunteers work, 121 of which will leave this year for Mozambique, 70 for Angola, 31 for Cape Verde, 29 for Sao Tome and Principe, 12 for Guinea-Bissau, 16 will go to Brazil and 5 to East Timor. Moreover, 2 volunteers will mark the Portuguese presence in Colombia and one in Benin. Education, training, pastoral, health, socio-cultural animation, infrastructure construction, agriculture and social assistance are some of the areas of work of the volunteers, devoting their time to the knowledge of the different groups: children, elders, teachers, women ... The volunteer Missionary Day is organized by the FEC (Fundação Fe and Cooperação), along with Projecto SABI - NAVEGAR and GASTagus. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 05/10/2011)
- 2014-01-21 - The whole Church is involved in the problem of migration
- 2013-08-10 - National Migration Week, an opportunity to express faith and charity
- 2012-12-12 - Recognition of Parliament to Caritas, for the protection of social rights and the fight against poverty
- 2012-10-30 - Catholic organizations denounce the social regression and the increase of poverty
- 2011-10-05 - Volunteer Missionary: more than 1,130 youth and adults involved this year in carrying out projects in 4 continents
- 2011-09-29 - Solidarity, forgiveness, sharing: fourth national meeting of young people sponsored by the SVD
- 2011-08-18 - In the Year of Voluntary, the National Missionary Days on "Voluntary work and Mission"
- 2011-07-22 - Voluntary Missionary: 1,130 Portuguese around the world, many will spend their holidays in mission lands
- 2011-01-17 - Christian charity has a great evangelising force in the measure in which it leaves the sign of God's love among men
- 2010-10-21 - Message from Bishop of Setubal for World Mission Sunday: Catholics should not think Christianity is irrelevant for society