AMERICA/URUGUAY - Building Justice, reconciliation and peace in Uruguay
Montevideo (Agenzia Fides ) - The Second National Assembly of the Prison Pastoral Care was held in Montevideo, which was attended by more than 30 pastoral operators from Rivera, Melo, Mercedes, Montevideo, Salto, Maldonado, Treinta y Tres, Flores, San Jose, Durazno and Tacuarembó. The Prison pastoral care is one of four areas dealt with by Caritas. In the final document - entitled "Building Justice, Reconciliation and Peace in Uruguay" - the participants denounced the situation of prisons and ask the community to be aware of the changes that can be obtained.
"The state of our prisons and the criminal justice system reflect the unjust structures that prevail in our society, which not only de-identifies all those who are prisoners, but does not even allow their rehabilitation, in fact, this is a perverse form of torture, the professionalization of the crime and complete destruction of families" these are the strong words of the document sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference of Uruguay.
"Our Prison Pastoral Care wants to contribute, from its perspective, to the search for solutions to the problems of prisons. In this regard we believe that society needs authentic justice, which is achieved through reconciliation and whose fruit is peace" continues the text of the document. "We appeal to our pastors, in accordance with the Document of Aparecida (No. 430), so that they give priority to the creation of the Commission of Prison Pastoral Care, to raise awareness about the serious situation in prisons, promoting reconciliation process in prisons and influence local and national policies". The Second National Assembly of the Prison Pastoral Care was held from September 16 to 18, but only in these days the final document was published. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/09/2011)
- 2013-02-23 AMERICA/URUGUAY - Social inclusion and “unity in diversity”: a challenge for the Church
- 2012-11-30 AMERICA/URUGUAY - Child labor and gender discrimination for Afro-Uruguayan children
- 2012-10-23 AMERICA/URUGUAY - Popular support for the Commission "For Life and Water" in Tacuarembó increases
- 2012-10-18 AMERICA/URUGUAY - "No violence is justified under any circumstances," the Archdiocese after the violence in the Marconi barrio of the capital
- 2012-09-27 AMERICA/URUGUAY - A Bishop joins the "Commission for Life and water"
- 2012-09-03 AMERICA/URUGUAY - More than 4000 young people committed to becoming missionary disciples: 34th National Youth Day
- 2012-07-02 AMERICA/URUGUAY - National Catholic Youth Day to renew faith and share the enthusiasm of proclamation
- 2012-04-30 AMERICA/URUGUAY - "Pain and frustration for the serious situation in the prisons of the Country" expresses the head of the prison Pastoral
- 2012-04-11 AMERICA/URUGUAY - Bishops meet in plenary Assembly: among the main themes: the Year of Faith and the Synod
- 2012-03-29 AMERICA/URUGUAY-After euthanasia carried out in hospitals, the Church stresses the duty to always defend life.