AFRICA - An agreement to control child trafficking between Benin and the Congo has been signed
Pointe-Noire (Agenzia Fides) - Benin and the Republic of Congo have signed an agreement to control the trafficking of children between the two countries. From some recent data it is clear that 1800 children from Benin, mainly between 11 and 18, have been victims of the trade towards Congo, forced to work in the field of trade or fisheries, or as domestic servants. "This is a timely intervention to prevent children from being victims of commercial and domestic abuse", said the UNICEF representative in Congo. The agreement was signed on Sept. 20 by the Social Affairs Ministers of both countries in Pointe Noire, the economic capital of Congo, where there is a large community of people from Benin. "These children are deprived of sleep. If they commit the slightest mistake in the house,they are likely to remain without food for days. They are treated like slaves", said the responsible of the Movement of Mothers for Peace, Solidarity and Development. A similar arrangement is also planned between the Republic of Congo and Democratic Republic of Congo. In fact, children often cross the river that separates the two countries, in search of better living conditions. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 26/09/2011)
- 2015-03-02 - "Do not lose hope aroused by the Arab Spring", say the Bishops of North Africa
- 2015-01-08 - The Holy See expresses gratitude to local Churches in Africa fighting Ebola
- 2014-12-12 - The anti-terrorism laws cause concern for the respect of human rights and democracy
- 2014-11-29 - Flexibility in health systems and community approach that adapts to the daily realities of HIV-positive people
- 2014-10-10 - The campaign "Let us turn over a new leaf, for democratic change in Africa" has been launched
- 2014-09-25 - Ebola and witchcraft: children accused of causing the spread of the virus
- 2014-06-25 - Ebola in West Africa: massive deployment of resources needed
- 2014-06-23 - "Immigrants are transforming our Church", say the Catholic Bishops of North Africa
- 2014-06-11 - Economics and Finance: Is Africa the continent of the future?
- 2014-04-25 - President of SECAM: "Africans have to rely greatly on their own human material resources"