AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - A nutrition program for children of the diocese of Hosanna
Hosanna (Agenzia Fides) - In the Horn of Africa, the situation continues to deteriorate and thousands of people continue to die of hunger every day. Among the organizations that continue to intervene is, "Manos Unidas" which has just started a new initiative for the people of the diocese of Hosanna, a city southwest of Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia. Through Manos Unidas, the Catholic Church has launched a program to help those most in need in this emergency that seems unstoppable. In the diocese of Hosanna the distribution of biscuits with high nutritional value has been organized, each package has four biscuits which contain 600 calories, the equivalent of a meal. All the children of the 15 nursery and primary schools in the area will receive these high-energy biscuits so as to receive adequate nutrition. 3 000 people will benefit for the next 6 months. Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world, with about 80 million people who depend on agriculture and where food, agricultural products and livestock are scarce. Very few families have irrigated crops, thus most of them depend on the seasonal rains that are not always sufficient and the population that has no food reserves and even less money, and therefore is doomed to suffer hunger. The most vulnerable victims and those who suffer most are children. The Ethiopian government is aware of the situation but, given the seriousness of the problem, is not able to find a solution. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/09/2011)
- 2015-08-24 - Caritas builds four schools for 4,800 South Sudanese refugees
- 2015-07-31 - “Print your Future” : Graphic Art for very vulnerable young people
- 2015-04-24 - The Bishops: "We plead to the human traffickers who are tricking the youth to leave their country through illegal means to stop their acts"
- 2015-04-14 - Easter resurrection and the birth of twins in one of the most forgotten areas in the world
- 2015-03-11 - A primary school for children in Hosanna
- 2015-02-24 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – First step for a representative of the Catholic Church at the African Union
- 2015-01-09 - Cardinal-designate Souraphiel: "I will work for the Church so that it obtains the observer status in the African Union"
- 2014-12-11 - "I saw the urgency of the first evangelization with my own eyes" says a Fidei Donum priest
- 2014-12-02 - A more functional school for 4000 children in one of the poorest regions of the Country
- 2014-08-11 - Blessing of the nutritional and educational center in the Somali region of the Country