AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - A nutrition program for children of the diocese of Hosanna
Hosanna (Agenzia Fides) - In the Horn of Africa, the situation continues to deteriorate and thousands of people continue to die of hunger every day. Among the organizations that continue to intervene is, "Manos Unidas" which has just started a new initiative for the people of the diocese of Hosanna, a city southwest of Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia. Through Manos Unidas, the Catholic Church has launched a program to help those most in need in this emergency that seems unstoppable. In the diocese of Hosanna the distribution of biscuits with high nutritional value has been organized, each package has four biscuits which contain 600 calories, the equivalent of a meal. All the children of the 15 nursery and primary schools in the area will receive these high-energy biscuits so as to receive adequate nutrition. 3 000 people will benefit for the next 6 months. Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world, with about 80 million people who depend on agriculture and where food, agricultural products and livestock are scarce. Very few families have irrigated crops, thus most of them depend on the seasonal rains that are not always sufficient and the population that has no food reserves and even less money, and therefore is doomed to suffer hunger. The most vulnerable victims and those who suffer most are children. The Ethiopian government is aware of the situation but, given the seriousness of the problem, is not able to find a solution. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/09/2011)
- 2013-05-21 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The "invisible" children of the continent are deprived of their rights
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The Catholic Church in Ethiopia is a small reality appreciated by all
- 2013-03-22 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Conflicts, floods, migration leading causes of early school drop-out
- 2013-02-13 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The Apostolic Prefect of Robe to the faithful: "Let us show how much we love and we care about our Mother Church"
- 2013-02-01 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - One of the five countries in the world where there is 50% of maternal mortality
- 2013-01-08 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Orthodox Christmas celebrated in the small community of Adaba
- 2012-11-21 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - New maternal and child health center in Soddo
- 2012-09-10 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Ethiopian New Year 2005: "We must pray for peace, justice, prosperity and be ready to any event without fear, strong in faith and hope"
- 2012-08-21 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - A difficult phase for the succession of Premier Zenawi begins
- 2012-08-10 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Addis Ababa and Nairobi work together to avoid new tribal clashes along the common border