AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA- Catholic radios are increasing: Radio Veritas also in Johannesburg
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - After waiting 11 years, the Catholic radio station Radio Veritas has received the license to broadcast. "The news has filled us with joy and we still receive congratulation messages", reads a statement by Father Emil Blaser, released by Catholic News Service. Father Blaser is a Dominican priest who has been busy fighting for the cause since 2000. "We have waited so long and tried every possible means to go on air", he added. Over the past 11 years the radio station has sponsored public conferences, market research conducted online, knocked on government doors and international organizations in an attempt to receive the license to broadcast transmissions. Mgr. Buti Tlhagale, Archbishop of Johannesburg, thanked the local moderator of communications, the Independent Authority for Communications in South Africa, for accepting the requests for the license. "In the end - said Archbishop Tlhagale - Radio Veritas will air in the greater metropolitan area of Johannesburg, our archdiocese".
Radio Veritas will broadcast on the frequencies of 576kHz. The official launch will be announced when the realization of all the technical aspects are completed. Over the last year other Catholic radio stations have been launched in Africa, including one in Uganda, working in favor of children kidnapped by rebel forces and forced to enlist in the armed forces. In November 2010 the work of the pontifical right Aid to the Church in Need financed the broadcast of the diocesan radio station transmission "Radio Wa" or "Our Radio" in Lira, northern Uganda. Even if the radio has a range of just 120 kilometers, approximately 1,500 child soldiers managed to escape from the rebel army. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2011)
- 2013-05-18 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The Bishops say they want explanations for the apparent misuse of State property for a private wedding
- 2013-05-14 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - New tensions in the South African platinum mines
- 2013-04-26 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The South African Bishops "regret" the approval of the Protection of State Information Bill
- 2013-03-14 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "The Church needs Pope Francis’ simple gestures," said Bishop Ponce de Leon who knew him
- 2012-10-12 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Violence on the rise: trade unions are losing control of the protest" said the Bishop of Rustenburg
- 2012-10-08 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Still tensions for the miners made redundant, trade unionists targeted by mysterious killer
- 2012-09-19 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Agreement reached for the Marikana mine, but more unrest in other mines is feared: Bishop Dowling’s opinion
- 2012-09-06 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Mine in Marikana: an agreement for peace has been reached, but it is not signed by all
- 2012-09-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - More than half of African children are "non-existent"
- 2012-09-04 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Marikana mine: "the release of the majority of miners is an important step," says the local Bishop