AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA- Catholic radios are increasing: Radio Veritas also in Johannesburg
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - After waiting 11 years, the Catholic radio station Radio Veritas has received the license to broadcast. "The news has filled us with joy and we still receive congratulation messages", reads a statement by Father Emil Blaser, released by Catholic News Service. Father Blaser is a Dominican priest who has been busy fighting for the cause since 2000. "We have waited so long and tried every possible means to go on air", he added. Over the past 11 years the radio station has sponsored public conferences, market research conducted online, knocked on government doors and international organizations in an attempt to receive the license to broadcast transmissions. Mgr. Buti Tlhagale, Archbishop of Johannesburg, thanked the local moderator of communications, the Independent Authority for Communications in South Africa, for accepting the requests for the license. "In the end - said Archbishop Tlhagale - Radio Veritas will air in the greater metropolitan area of Johannesburg, our archdiocese".
Radio Veritas will broadcast on the frequencies of 576kHz. The official launch will be announced when the realization of all the technical aspects are completed. Over the last year other Catholic radio stations have been launched in Africa, including one in Uganda, working in favor of children kidnapped by rebel forces and forced to enlist in the armed forces. In November 2010 the work of the pontifical right Aid to the Church in Need financed the broadcast of the diocesan radio station transmission "Radio Wa" or "Our Radio" in Lira, northern Uganda. Even if the radio has a range of just 120 kilometers, approximately 1,500 child soldiers managed to escape from the rebel army. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2011)
- 2014-07-01 - Bishop of Rustenburg says thanks for the help given to the miners who have concluded the strike
- 2014-06-23 - An American missionary who dedicated her life to orphans in South Africa has been killed
- 2014-05-07 - " Be careful not to go back to new forms of racial discrimination" says Cardinal Napier to voters
- 2014-05-02 - "Enormous progress on integration, but we need to fight corruption", says Cardinal Napier
- 2014-04-04 - The Bishops: "President, give an explanation of the excessive expenditure on the renovation of your house with public money"
- 2014-03-10 - The role of the General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences on the subject of reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transition
- 2014-02-19 - South African Bishops: "Go and vote, because this right has been won with blood"
- 2014-02-10 - Bishops’ message in view of the elections on May 7: "Let us carefully choose who to vote for"
- 2014-01-29 - "No to laws that discriminate homosexuals": editorial of the Catholic Southern Cross
- 2013-12-10 - AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – Mandela; Cardinal Napier: "Grateful for what he did for South Africa and the world"