OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The commemoration of the Twin Towers victims is open to everyone
Sydney (Agenzia Fides) - It will be a celebration open to all, without exception or discrimination, which will be held on Sunday, September 11 and presided by Cardinal George Pell, Archbishop of Sydney, in the Cathedral of Santa Maria, to remember the 30000 victims of 11 September 2001 in New York. As reported to Fides by the local Church, the commemoration will mention, in particular, the 200 Australians killed in the disaster.
Participants will include civil and religious authorities, the faithful of all religious communities, members of civil society organizations, non-believers but also citizens who want to stop and reflect and pay tribute to the victims of the attack. To celebrate the tenth anniversary of the massacre, people in the world of music will take part and sing songs and play music.
The approach chosen by the community in Sydney is quite different from that adopted in the United States, where religious leaders cannot take part in the official commemoration ceremony. "This is an inclusive approach, which does not intend to exclude anyone," explains the Australian Church. "September 11th is a day to remember, and it is for everyone. Its memory belongs to all men of good will. "Christians point out that, among the victims of the attack on the Twin Towers, there is also a Franciscan friar, Father Michael Judge, OFM, who was the Fire Department’s chaplain in New York and died during the collapse of the first tower. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 09/09/2011)
- 2013-12-05 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The Australian Bishops are committed to spreading the Evangelii gaudium
- 2013-07-10 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Compassion towards immigrants: young Australians welcome Pope Francis’ appeal
- 2013-05-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New project against trafficking and child labor in India
- 2013-02-22 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Government tells Churches "homosexuals must not be discriminated against in social service"
- 2012-12-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New Catholic schools are born, enrollment increases
- 2012-11-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "We oppose the policy of prolonged detention of asylum seekers and we are particularly concerned about the children": Council’s appeal for social justice
- 2012-10-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Catholic Mission: To restore hope to the people of the Philippines devastated by the Typhoon Ondoy
- 2012-04-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-Campaign of the Pontifical Mission Societies of Australia for Ethiopia's population
- 2012-03-29 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The support of the Australian Catholic to 195 dioceses in 38 nations through Catholic Mission
- 2012-01-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The liturgy is enriched with aboriginal chants and prayers in a church on the outskirts of Sydney