OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-Almost half of those enrolled in Catholic schools do not come from Catholic families
Adelaide (Agenzia Fides) - According to a recent survey by Advertiser on AdelaideNow, about 20,000 of the 48,783 southern Australian students enrolled in Catholic schools do not belong to the Catholic Church: it is a figure that has never been reached in the past five years. Parents interviewed by the Australian newspaper said they were lured by these religious schools because they are the most affordable and animated by a sense of community that public schools tend not to provide, although there is more religious education than expected. The head of the southern Australian Catholic schools underlined that he wants to keep a strong and clear Catholic identity, as well as pointing out to parents who send their children to Catholic schools that the main feature of these schools has to be respected and therefore among the school activities, children will participate in liturgical celebrations and spiritual retreats, and religious education will be taught. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/08/2011)
- 2013-05-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New project against trafficking and child labor in India
- 2013-02-22 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Government tells Churches "homosexuals must not be discriminated against in social service"
- 2012-12-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New Catholic schools are born, enrollment increases
- 2012-11-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "We oppose the policy of prolonged detention of asylum seekers and we are particularly concerned about the children": Council’s appeal for social justice
- 2012-10-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Catholic Mission: To restore hope to the people of the Philippines devastated by the Typhoon Ondoy
- 2012-04-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-Campaign of the Pontifical Mission Societies of Australia for Ethiopia's population
- 2012-03-29 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The support of the Australian Catholic to 195 dioceses in 38 nations through Catholic Mission
- 2012-01-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The liturgy is enriched with aboriginal chants and prayers in a church on the outskirts of Sydney
- 2011-11-24 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-The Bishops listen to an Aboriginal leader, "an agenda of hope"
- 2011-10-17 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "Aborigines and immigrants are the heart of the mission", says the Archbishop of Canberra